Author Topic: Gunbuilding Seminar at Western Kentucky Univ.  (Read 5906 times)

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Gunbuilding Seminar at Western Kentucky Univ.
« on: January 31, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »
Registration for the June 2009 NMLRA Gunbuilding Seminar is well underway and I wanted to post a status report in case you or your friends have been considering signing up.

As usual there are three, six and nine day classes that run during the ten days leading up to the Spring Shoot at Friendship. For 2009 the session starts on June 3 and ends on the 12th.

3-Day Classes
•   Stock Finishing and Preparation—Mark Silver [TWO openings]
•   Wire and Sheet Metal Inlay for Longrifles—Gary Brumfield [TWO openings]
6-Day Classes
•   Engraving — Beginning and Intermediate—Mark Silver [FULL with a waiting list]
•   Lock Assembly, Tuning and Polishing Class—Jim Chambers [FOUR openings]
•   Relief Carving for Longrifles —Gary Brumfield [ONE opening]
9-Day Classes
•   Making a Germanic Style Hunting Sword—Bob Elka & Joe Valentin [SEVERAL openings]
•   Period Architecture and Stock Shaping—Wallace Gusler  [TWO openings]
•   Stocking an 18th-century Continental Sporting Arm—Ronald Scott [SEVERAL openings]
•   Stocking an 18th-century Lancaster Rifle—Jack Brooks [ONE opening]

For details about courses, registration, and the instructors go the look in your January Muzzle Blasts of go to:
http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_Gunsmithingseminar09.pdf

"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Re: Gunbuilding Seminar at Western Kentucky Univ.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 02:25:33 AM »
Hi Gary,
Last Monday (Jan.26) I added the NMLRA link to the resources page on my web site.  I figured any publicity would be helpful.

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/resources/black-powder-resources.php

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Tony Clark

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Anyone here ever went to one of these seminars? Anyone here going this year? Just was wondering. Regards, TC

Offline Benedict

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
I have taken several of those classes and found them to be a great learning opportunity besides being a lot fun.  I wish I had the time to go this year.

Bruce

Online tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 10:18:38 PM »
I have attended for the last couple of years.I am planning on attending this year even though I really can't afford it.It is an unprecedented opportunity.The instructors are top notch,not only are they master gunbuilders but they are fine teachers as well.Something that don't always go together.There are also usually many fine original guns that show up for the student to study.If you get a chance GO!!!!!

Mitch

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 10:50:13 PM »
I've been twice.  I took Gary's Carving and Mark's engraving.  I'm still trying to swing it this year to take Jim's lock class if I can get off that week at work.
I'd recommend the seminar to anyone with a serious interest or even just a curiosity.
The lessons are the best available in my opinion, not to mention the enjoyment, the after class discussions, and some very fine original and contemporary guns to look over.
If you're considering it, or on-the-fence, by all means, go for it!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:35:01 AM »
Anyone here ever went to one of these seminars?
I went in '85 and '87....er somewhere back around there. ???
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Tony Clark

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:57:22 AM »
I went in '85 and '87....er somewhere back around there. ???

Hello Mike, was it worth it for you? What classes did you take? Just wondering. Regards, TC

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 01:44:32 AM »
The first year I went they hadn't invented the hands on classes yet, in fact most of the instructors were carrying clubs and wearing loin cloths . The second class I took was engraving with Lynton McKenzie. Wonderful man, just taught way over my head. ( I had no engraving experience what so ever at that point) I engraved with Lynton for a couple days then ran away and turned the crank on Hershel's forge for the rest of the week. Still had a fine time and learned tons O' stuff. I was finally able to use what Lynton taught me and can now engrave well enough to get by.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wogden

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 02:57:15 AM »
I have been several times.  Signed up this year for lock assembly.  They are great seminars and well worth it.
Warren Ogden

brokenflint

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 04:01:49 AM »
Been a couple of times, engraving with Wallace, carving with Gary.   A good time to be had.  You get to see some originals, get exposure to some great work, put faces with the names in real time  ;D   not cheap but well worth it in my opinion.  Going again this year, looking forward to seeing folks I haven't seen in awhile.

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 10:15:40 PM »
Yepper!!! I'm planning on being there once again , some how. I must add that it doesnt matter how much experience one has at this craft, one can always pickup new ideas and techniques. Not to mention getting to see many fine originals and contemporary pieces to see in three dimensions (live) and there is no better way to study something or pick up those little clues.
The toughest part I always have is picking the class or classes. I always wish I could take more than the time allows.
Thank you Gary!!!!!
Darrin
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Tony Clark

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
The first year I went they hadn't invented the hands on classes yet, in fact most of the instructors were carrying clubs and wearing loin cloths . The second class I took was engraving with Lynton McKenzie. Wonderful man, just taught way over my head. ( I had no engraving experience what so ever at that point) I engraved with Lynton for a couple days then ran away and turned the crank on Hershel's forge for the rest of the week. Still had a fine time and learned tons O' stuff. I was finally able to use what Lynton taught me and can now engrave well enough to get by.

I really regret having not gotten a chance to meet and work with Lynton or John Bivins. Consider myself very very lucky to have spent quite a bit of time cranking Herschels forge myself, and to have had the opportunity to learn from and spend some time with folks like Gary Brumfield, Wallace Gusler, Jim Chambers, Ron Ehlert, Mark Silver, Jack Brooks and others. I think I have been to four of these seminars over the years. Always considered it to be money and time very well spent. I learned so much, and it wasn't all about gunbuilding either, hanging around folks like this tends to give a person a new perspective on a lot of things. Regards, TC

Offline Doug Cline

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 08:38:24 PM »
I was able to attend the last two years and both times felt it was one of the best and most tiring vacations I've had. I wish I could attend this year, but have 3 daughters graduating, one from college and two from high school and the dates conflict, with any luck I can make it back next year.
Doug