Author Topic: more sight advances...  (Read 2776 times)

kaintuck

more sight advances...
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:16:40 AM »
acer suggested a round bit, after the drilled bit to radius the part out better...it worked great...i am getting more better with each one....
these are more better...I used a 'round bit' on the drilled hole....then cut cut cut...file file file....
they will have to be browned of coarse..last one on the right is a TOTW low sight.

this is what i start with....

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: more sight advances...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:19 AM »
Looking good!  If you make them with an extra long base, it's easier to clamp the extra length in the vise and then file away without worrying about gripping the thin little sides.  I wait to brown everything until the sight is installed on the barrel, that way I don't damage the finish as I install it. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:01:53 AM »
I don't finish file my sights until they are installed in the barrel.    I just rough shape them, file the sides and dovetails and leave the rest for when they are in the barrel.    I also forge little L shaped blanks that generally just have to be filed.    I make a bunch at a time.   

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 06:23:43 AM »
I have made lots of rear sights  but they always end up looking like a toilet. They seem to work OK but when my shooting is off I just say my scores are going down the s----r.  ;D 

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:18:11 AM »
Nice work kaintuck!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing