Author Topic: PISTOL TINDER LIGHTER (Has anyone ever made one?)  (Read 6123 times)

BrushCountryAg03

PISTOL TINDER LIGHTER (Has anyone ever made one?)
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:31:38 PM »
I'd really like to make one and although there's "more than one one way to skin a cat", I'd rather follow the advice or suggestions of anyone who has any experience along these lines.

Will

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: PISTOL TINDER LIGHTER (Has anyone ever made one?)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
Will,

Over the years I have used the tinderlighter kit to make screw barrel pistols.  The result is a neat little gun for re-enactors to play with, but they are not "museum quality" reproductions, just fun & inexpensive.  Also, I have made a powder tester or eprouvette (spelling?) from the same.  Years ago these tinderlighter kits were available for a very low price and I would make them up in batches of 5 or so.

Jim

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »
From where can one get these kits ?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

BrushCountryAg03

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 06:18:23 PM »
I saw that kit from Dixie but I'm very skeptical of the quality of the parts not to mention the temper of the frizzen  face.

Here's a picture of an original that I would really like to make a working copy of:

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 06:32:41 PM »
The Dixie kit is what you make of it.
Take some of the reviews with a grain of salt.
Seems that a lot of the reviewers were not gun builders.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
I put together one of those kits when I was a kid.   I still have it.   The half cock notch could be deepened a little.  I just got a plastic bag of castings as I recall.   No instructions, no nothing but a bag of castings.   Fortunately,  I didn't need instructions.   If you know what you are doing,  you can have a nice tinderlighter indistinguishable from the original.   I checked out the link.  It sure has gone up in price just for some bits of brass and steel.  I think I bought my "kit" for $25 about 30 some years ago.  :D

The one pictured above is a German model, I believe, all iron.   I have thought about making one, but I have too many other things on my to do list.   :(    If you can do some basic blacksmithing,  it shouldn't be too hard to make.    I figure it would be about a weeks work for me, but these days, the only way it is getting on the schedule if somebody paid me for it and then it would still be next year. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:59:56 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 04:04:42 AM »
I saw one of the completed Dixie kits on Friday afternoon, and was pretty impressed.  It had been completed by someone with gunstocking experience, and I did not check the spark, but it looked well fitted.  It got my interest.  I immediately thought of the look on the faces of the Boy Scouts when I broke it out to start a campfire.

Larry Luck

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
Larry,

My tinderlighter works pretty well.   I have used it to light the candle.   

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
I also have one that I put together years ago.  It sparks well, but took a lot of brass filing to complete it.  I still have another kit still in the box as received from Dixie in ages past.  I never got around to it.  Maybe one of these days.
Curt