Author Topic: Left hand patent breech  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Hungry Horse

Left hand patent breech
« on: June 11, 2014, 07:43:07 PM »
 Does anyone know of a source for a LEFT hand, percussion,  patent breech, for an inch and an eighth barrel. I have accumulated enough parts to build my nephew a rifle, to hunt elk with, but, am having a rough time finding a patent breech to fit this barrel. Its an Orion barrel, .62 Cal. 36" long.  The threads appear to be 3/4-16.
I intend to build a plains rifle, but not a Hawken, possibly a Hoffman&Campbell,  an O'Dell, or maybe even a Joseph Craig, since we both live in California. The lock I have is a massive antique back action, that has never been drilled for securing into a rifle.

Hungry Horse

galamb

Re: Left hand patent breech
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Track sells an 1 1/8" LH Hawken patent breech (slanted snail) PLUG-LH-18-3 with 3/4-16 thread

So  do "The Gun Works", part number 312-34-16

If you are willing to use a drum/nipple you can use a Hawken style flint hooked breech and install the drum into the plug portion. Track sells those as well in 1 1/8" 3/4-16 PLUG-FH-18-3 - with the patent flint breech there is no left or right hand.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:05:08 PM »
 Thanks Graham, That is just what I needed to know. Actually the flint breech, with the drum, and nipple, might be more correct looking that  the blatantly Hawken slant breech.

Hungry Horse

galamb

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »
I like using the Hawken flint plug with a drum - just seems safer than going through the side of the barrel and gives you some options as well later on (another barrel with a snail and a different lock - or turn it into a flint etc).

But going with the flint breech/drum and a nice Siler Mountain percussion lock from Chambers - perfect "plains" set up.