Author Topic: needing a new set of calipers  (Read 15103 times)

Offline Pete G.

Re: needing a new set of calipers
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2014, 04:02:53 PM »
Pete, I used to think like that. Buying quality tools was a good investment, but after having thousands of dollars worth of quality tools stolen I now buy junk. I got tired of fueling peoples drug habits with my tools.

I must admit that factor has never crossed my mind.
Perhaps some pawn shop junk that is easily accessible to act as a decoy.
.....that and label the Aqua Fortis as "Liquid Meth".

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2014, 05:27:37 PM »
Going through the Colonial Williamsburg site,  I was astonished that the gun shop is able to keep tolerances extremely close with the old tools of the time. Worth a look.

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
Bob, the "secrete" is knowing how to use those tools  ;D.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2014, 07:12:52 PM »
Yes, indeed !    But, we are talking within .0005 of an inch  ;D     That is pretty darn good by any standard.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 07:39:10 AM »
There is no way the gunshop at CW is measuring anything to .0005" and I think it is very misleading to give numbers like that.   I am sure they are fitting parts by feel to within .0005" but it has all got to be a matter of fitting things together and not making them to an exact measurement.   That is the nature of making anything by hand.  I don't use my modern measuring tools to make something a particular finished size.  I am just using them to get me in the ballpark and establish limits.   I just need the measuring instruments to get me to within 1/32"- 1/64" for inletting or .002" for lock assembly work.  The final critical fits are by feel and trial and error.    I am pretty certain the CW gunshop is doing the same thing and some marketing person is trying to mix apples and oranges to impress potential visitors. 

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
I agree with you, Mark.  It is not the measurement process , but rather, the end result that I find so interesting.
The context for this was 2 barrels being reamed [ a double barrel gun ] and the bores when measured were within .0005 of each other.  Sorry to complicate this thread.  When building long rifles , the tools I use for measurement allow me to better duplicate a given part rather than actually give a numbered measurement.

Offline DutchGramps

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 09:46:23 PM »
.... and have magnetized for some reason.  This is a problem.  I cannot set them down on the bench when I'm working with them because they'll pick up steel dust, such as steel wool fragments, that ends up in the track and causes them to skip.  I confirm that they are zeroed each and every time I pick them up.  I wish I knew how to de-magnetize them!!

I had the same problem with other tools that became magnetized: screwdrivers, chisels. An old trick is as follows: make a coil of stiff copper wire, some 50 will do. Wrap tape around to keep the coil together. Then connect to an AC welding trafo, lowest output. It starts to humm, (if it smoking, there is something wrong, disconnect quickly...)
Now move the parts to de-magnetize slowly through the coil, several times, and then it should be ok. ;D
Hope this helps!
Hans
Real bikes are kick-started....