Author Topic: Merchant Master Gunbuilders "Personal Rifles"  (Read 7451 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Merchant Master Gunbuilders "Personal Rifles"
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »
As a hobby gunbuilder I make em for my own use. When I see the work of many of the guy's made to order master pieces, I would find it very very hard to part with such rifles for any amount of money. The question I have for all of the craftsmen that are doing this for a living, including those making high art pieces for sale part time........do you ever build something special for your own use?  I'd love to here about (and see pictures of) your own personal rifles. This includes all of the fella's named in the "Most Influential Builders" thread, as well as several others who were not mentioned there.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 11:54:36 AM by Captjoel »
Joel Hall

J Shingler

Re: Merchant Master Gunbuilders "Personal Rifles"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Most of the professionals I know end up selling "There" gun. I have seen Frank House borrow one of his guns to shoot at a shoot. Kind of like the electrician friend of mine that don't have enough light in the basement to see and the auto mech that his car is falling apart. ;D

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
 :)  The lure of the almighty dollar--and necessity--usually make a builder sell off even his own personal rifle-gun.  Most of the builders I have known work on borderline economics and sooner or later are induced to part with "old sally" or whatever.  I have one close friend who has built many guns over the years, but has managed to hang on to one--a "poorboy" deer rifle he made years ago.  I doubt he'll ever part with it, although he has sold all the other rifles he "made for himself", including several masterpieces.  The old poorboy just suits him fine thank you very much, and he has taken many a deer with it out behind his rural shop....

Tony Clark

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 04:35:03 PM »
The only gun I have kept is an early VA. iron mounted rifle that I built with the help of Herschel & John House. It's the 2nd gun I built & quite old and beat up looking now from all the miles it's been carried.
I've never had a problem parting with the guns I have made. Even the first gun I built, which many folks tend to have some sentimental value towards, I gladly sold...when someone offered me $1800 for it. Not to mention it is pretty rewarding to know that you can make a gun and then sell it for $3-4-5,000 or more! And then have the customer rave about it to his friends. I find it difficult to grow as a gunsmith if I have my early work sitting around in the shop. I don't want to look at the stuff, seeing the mistakes which were made (even tiny ones that nobody else seems to notice) absolutely drives me crazy. Rather than do that I just let them go and begin every rifle with the increased ability I slowly gain over time and just keep trying to "raise the bar".
If I ever am fortunate enough to build that perfect "masterpiece" of a gun, then I might like to keep it if only for the simple reason  that I wouldn't have to borrow it from someone when I want to go to a show. As long as I have my old trusty beat up iron mounted gun to fill the freezer with I am set. Regards, TC

Offline Ezra

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:25 PM »
Most of the "master" builders I know, cannot afford themselves.

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 05:05:46 PM »
I havn't owned one of my rifles since 1996. I've probably built 1/2 dozen for my self over the years but they always get sold before I can shoot them. I finally gave up and went to shooting black powder cartridge rifles.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:01:10 PM »
When I was a duck decoy carver, parting with a duck I had spent months working on was like getting a divorce or loosing a great friend.

As a bow maker with a pretty good following, I love to pass a bow to a new owner and only keep ones made for flawed wood for myself, great shooters but too many knots and cracks to depend on in the long run.

As a fledgling gun builder with such and incredible amount to learn, I suspect I will have a bunch of personal guns around my house in the future. I wouldn't want some of my careless mistakes to become public.

Offline Benedict

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:04:02 PM »
I am a hobbyist but I do sell most of my guns.  I do manage to keep one for myself for a while but then usually get tired of it and build something else.  

One pistol that I have was one of my first builds and I recently had occasion to take it apart.  I was appalled at the workmanship.  It goes to show how very much I have improved over the years.

Also, for the most part I find that the joy is in the building and when I finish a gun, I pretty much have lost interest in it and am ready to move on to the next one.

Bruce

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 06:46:50 PM »
Merchant Master!!!!   Of which I surely can not claim to be.   

If I take a new piece to a shoot and I'm shooting the new girl and not quite as well as I hoped which is usually the case, a little voice in my head keeps telling me to go back to the 'truck' and get ol reliable.  The voice gets louder as the shoot continues on so that I finally do pull the old lady out and shoot her.

I do believe that is what happens to most of the builders and that is why they keep hanging on to their favorite 'ladies'!! ;D

PINYONE

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »
Well as for a rifle builder after 39 years at it not full time- I have achieved the Status of " Legend in my own Mind". And now that my eye sight is not as good all of my rifles are master piece. As for mu personal rifle- the longest I ever had one to keep was 2 days. I have always found it hard to find some one to buy a rifle but when they just drop by they want mine. The last 2 went to the same guy- he has bought my horns- war clubs- pistols and rifles. My last was a Wyllie Higgins rifle that I was going to keep, well start all over. I sort of feel like hey you can't take them with you anyway. The Great Pinyone

Offline t.caster

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:05:50 PM »
CaptJoel, how's things Up North? Good thread here, but I'm disapointed no one has posted pics yet! I build part time for guys who want a rifle or smoothie that looks like something built by an original PA, MA or VA builder. A builder ought to carry something that shows off his abilities.

Come on guys...don't just stand there....post up!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:56:04 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 10:15:32 PM »
Tom,

Those are two beauties!  I wouldn't part with them either!

Dan
Dan Akers

PINYONE

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:22 PM »
Man what nice rifles- I would keep them both- the Great Pinyone

George F.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:37:56 PM »
I'm retired. I build to give me something to do. I started in 1990 and  I've only build 8 so far. I haven't had the slightest inclination to sell any, instead I give them to family members to remember me by. I am currently building guns for my heirs. I have parts and stocks for 10 rifles/ fowlers. I told my son that I'm not even gonna put them in my will, but rather have them fight over them. I don't have the heart to sell one.   ...Geo.

brokenflint

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 01:44:28 AM »
So Mr Caster I understand the Beck is up for grabs  ;D    Very nice work, which I have admired for awhile now. Always looking for more pics.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 04:37:06 PM »
Mr Brokenflint, They say "EVERYTHINGS for SALE...if the price is right"!  ;D
But no, I am very fond of my little Becky! She'd be very hard to part with! :'(
However, I can make you one of your very own! 8)

BTW, it would be nice if you would fill out your profile, otherwise we figure you're from the IRS, ATF or PETA or something like that!
Tom C.

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 12:19:58 AM »
Been building rifles for over 35 years now and recently retired from commercial building.  In all that time, I've only been able to keep 2 rifles for my own personal use.  When I get a bit older, I'll probably sell one (the wife says she thinks she knows me too well and that I'd swap for some Guinness) and give the other to some worthy person.  I used to think I was a legend in my own mind, but I found out that it was really more like Nightmare on Elm Street.  Cheers,  Bookie
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971