Author Topic: Rice 16 ga Fowler barrels now available  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Rice 16 ga Fowler barrels now available
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:52 PM »
I told someone earlier that I would make measurements of the 16 ga smoothbore barrel that I just received from Jason Schneider owner of Rice Rifle Barrels.

The barrel spec's are not on their website but here are the actual measurements that I just made on the barrel I received.
The breech measures 1.065" ( I was using a Mitutoyo dial caliper ).
The oct section is 15" long and at the forward end, just before wedding bands it measures .935" the diameter of the first two wedding band is .903 then a 3/4" gap to the last (3rd wedding band) which also measures .903. The round barrel in between the 2nd and 3rd wedding band is .908"

The barrel tapers down to the waist and the smallest diameter is .785" 5 inches from the muzzle then flares up to .845" and the muzzle.

Finish on the barrel is very nice, guessing 120 grit. Fan tail breech plug is installed, bore appears to be well finished from what little I could see. This barrel is 44 inches long and will the breech plug installed it weighs 2.6 LBS (or 2 lbs 9.6 oz. on my digital bath scale, I weighed myself with and without the barrel then subtracted to get barrel weight).

I could not find my bore light and in no mood to pull the breech plug right now. Will try to do it later when I have more time and am not so tired!

From what I have seen so far this is a high quality barrel. I am not sure how many Jason made at the same time mine was made so you should contact him if interested in one of these barrels.
Dennis
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:27:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Micah2

Re: Rice 16 ga Fowler barrels now available
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:21 AM »
Thank you Dennis that was me.  I called the other day about a southern barrel that wasn't ready and forgot to ask about the 16.  I will call back. 

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
Oh, found my bore light and dropped it down the barrel and the bore looks great. Wish I had time to get this barrel in a finished fowler and see how well it shoots. Alas it will be awhile!
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:57:00 PM »
Dennis

If you get a chance could you post some pics of the wedding bands.THANKS!!!!

Mitch Yates

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:02:22 PM »
Here is a photo of the wedding bands. Sorry for the poor photo but used the cheap digital camera laying on my desk.
Dennis