Author Topic: Need help selecting stock blank for Boutet  (Read 5106 times)

eddillon

Need help selecting stock blank for Boutet
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:49:33 AM »
I know it is not an American Long Rifle but it will be flint and it will be period style.  I would like to find out from members which of the following two blanks would be best for a Boutet pistol project.

Both together for comparison.  These are some of my Turkish (Circassian) Walnut blanks.

The obverse side of each is practically identical to the side shown.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 03:56:11 AM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
Re: Need help selecting stock blank for Boutet
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:01:10 AM »
The top blank is, of course, perfect for your project.  The bottom is also exceptional...are you making a matched pair of pistols?  If not, the the bottom blank would be wonderful for an 18th century piece with a more open grip than the Boutet you have drawn out.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
Hi Ed,
Beautiful wood!!  Are you going to do a lot of inlays or carving?  If yes, I would choose the lower plank because the extreme figure in the upper would be wasted.  If you are going to show a lot of wood without decoration, the upper blanks would be the most beautiful.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 09:13:46 PM »
Fanastic blanks!!!!! Where did you get them??

Best regards
Rolf

eddillon

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 09:47:38 PM »
Fanastic blanks!!!!! Where did you get them??

Best regards
Rolf

Got them from my personal supply stored in my house.  They are from Turkey.
Here is another pistol built with parts from Ron Scott.  This is a piece of Turkish, also.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:45 PM »
Thats a tough call---just make 2 pistols...

Offline Ryan McNabb

• McNabb's Station
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »
The top blank is, of course, perfect for your project.  The bottom is also exceptional...are you making a matched pair of pistols?  If not, the the bottom blank would be wonderful for an 18th century piece with a more open grip than the Boutet you have drawn out.

By top blank, I meant the blank with the Boutet profile drawn on it.  It has perfect grain flow for the shape.  The other, darker blank has perfect grain flow for an open gripped pistol like the other photo you showed.  This isn't to say you couldn't use it...it's not like it's going to snap off in your hand.

And heavy use of inlay sure never stopped Boutet from using the finest walnut he could find, if the photos I've seen prove anything...

aross007

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 06:36:09 AM »
I know - close your eyes, choose one, and I'll be up to take the other one so you won't be tempted to change your mind! ;D

Alan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:27:46 PM »
I would use #2 for the pistol, that is if #1 is long enough for the butt stock of a double rifle - maybe .303Br. or 9.3x74R, then there might be enough also for it's splinter forend. If not, the bottom piece of #2 will make the splinter forend for the #1 DR stock.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

I have learned that beautiful wood doesn't do much good for a pistol blank, especially a Boutet style or a high art English. Most of those pistols had a lot of wire or inlays and when your done you can't really see much of the figure. When doing the carving and the wire work etc. The high figure is a detriment most of the time. Too bad but that is the way it is. The grain in the grip is important though.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 01:40:44 AM »
I don't plan on going heavy on the inlays and wires.  Plan on a Damascus barrel and fancy wood.  I have seen pictures of several Boutets without all the glitter.  I would like for the wood and the barrel to compliment themselves.  maybe have that fancy Boutet checkering with silver nails in it.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 02:47:22 AM »
In that case I would go with the one that holds up to the checkering best.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.