Author Topic: Scotchbrite for finish work  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Scotchbrite for finish work
« on: June 12, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »
 I have used the rougher tpes of Scotchbrite for various things but I have not been able to find the maroon or gray that I know some of you use. Two questions, where can I buy it (Lowes/Home Depot here doesn't carry it)? If I have to order it would someone tell me which is best for final finish for wood, metal so I won't order the wrong thing. I currently use 0000 steel wool but would like to try the equivalent in Scotchbrite.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
Re: Scotchbrite for finish work
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »
Dennis I got some gray and maroon once from Woodcraft.  Not sure the brand they have is Scotchbrite but it is equivalent I think.  The gray didn't seem as aggressive a 0000 steel wool but it has been some time ago so my recollection may be incorrect.  A lot is these days.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 06:10:00 PM »
I got both maroon and grey at the local Ace Hardware in the paint department. Paint store? Auto paint supplier? I hate paying shipping to buy small stuff online. I find I use the grey most often.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 06:28:29 PM »
Dennis, I use the green Scotchbrite with Comet cleanser for degreasing steel prior to browning.  It gives a final polish to steel that has been taken to 220 grit with abrasive cloth.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Dennis,
You can get all grades at Wooscraft, or Woodworkers Source.
I use it exclusively..... No more steel wool. I find that the white (which is supposed to be equivalent to 4/0) is just a little to mild. I use the gray for finishes.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 07:09:01 PM »
I got both maroon and grey at the local Ace Hardware in the paint department. Paint store? Auto paint supplier? I hate paying shipping to buy small stuff online. I find I use the grey most often.

Ace Hardware is the first place I checked and the one closest to me did not have it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 07:10:06 PM »
Thanks guys, looks like I will have to drive over to Woodcraft, was hoping to save the 44 mile round trip!
Dennis

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45:29 PM »
Dennis, You can buy them from Amazon.com. A box of 20 is about 23 bucks, plus 7 bucks shipping.
Might be a deal if the shipping is less than the gasoline costs...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=gray+scotch+brite+pads&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30018797727&hvpos=1t5&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=2039583820388173428&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_uhqnkuf6t_b
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:46:11 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Archie Otto

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:55:57 PM »
Fastenal has several different grades

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:01 PM »
Dennis,

I just bought some green, gray, and white at the Mechanicsville Lowes yesterday.    The gray does about what 0000 steel wool used to do for me.   The white is more like a course cloth or rottenstone.   I use it for rubbing down a glossy finish. 

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:44 PM »
My local Pep Boys carries the maroon and grey.

Offline PPatch

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

mlrifleNY

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:48 AM »
  Check the auto body refinishing stores. Both of those are used every day in an auto body shop, I know I worked in them for almost 40 years. Maroon is the coarsest, them gray, then white. White is almost useless with gray being used the most, at least by me.

Jim

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 02:14:07 AM »
I buy mine at my local Ace Hardware.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline ohidan

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 02:55:37 AM »
I buy mine at my local body shop paint and supply store .
ohidan

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »
Dennis, I'd go back to your Ace. They've ordered things for me that the local store didn't stock. Beats a long drive or paying shipping. Worth a shot.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Meteorman

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 04:00:41 AM »
Dennis - i like the maroon & grey scotchbrites for the early coats, but when you get near the final, i like these:  http://www.amazon.com/Mirka-18-118-449RP-pieces-2-Inch-9-Inch/dp/B001BKT5H2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1402620947&sr=8-5&keywords=Mirka+mirlon+gold

/mike

oakridge

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2014, 05:41:43 AM »
I have bought boxes of the red at paint stores, such as Sherwin-Williams. Actually you can sometimes save money by buying on line, even if there's a shipping charge. Compare prices.

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
I explained the benefits of non-woven abrasives years ago and got bashed over the head for mentioning things that weren't "traditional". Nice to see everyone buying from the suppliers who don't even support gun rights let alone traditional muzzleloading.  :(
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Thom

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
Your local Ace Hardware will order these for you, or you can order them online to be delivered to your local store.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »
Amazon Prime
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 09:34:50 PM »
Amazon Prime

Even better when your daughter has Prime, I pay her and she gets the Amazon points ;D

Thanks to everyone for their input. A buddy of mine is a body/fender man and he told me that NAPA has it. The NAPA distribution warehouse is about 6 miles from me so I will drop by and get some there.
Dennis