Author Topic: Extended barrel tang  (Read 3686 times)

billd

Extended barrel tang
« on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:35 AM »
I'm building iron mounted southern style gun, not trying to copy anything, just a gun that fits me. I extended the barrel tang to 5". I didn't think when I put cast-off in the stock, but now the tang is not centered in the wrist. It's not much, but noticable and bothers me. Can I just bend the tang to the side to match the wrist or did I screw up?

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Dave B

Re: Extended barrel tang
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:43 AM »
I have seen guns with long tangs that were bent to match the off set of the wrist as well as short tangs that should have been straighted out before being inlet  on original rifles. You would think they would have known better. Tweek it over a schoshe till centered and you will sleep better at night.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
Yes - push it over to the wrist center.  On mine, the main tang where the tang screw is came off straight from the breech and my bend is where the narrow tang extension begins.  ( Assuming a lolliepop style tang. )  The long extension itself is straight.  You really can't tell it's adjusted to center...................Lynn 
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 07:46:58 AM »
Unless your makin a long spear point style tang which I have'nt.  Someone who makes that style should advise.  I would bend it and file it to be less noticable.  The kind I made is like a regular squared tang with a long narrow extension, a swell for a screw at the nose of the comb, then narrow again and up onto the comb a couple of inches.  Many stop at the screw boss (lolliepop style).  What style are you making?............................Lynn
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 07:48:07 AM by Lynn Cook »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 07:58:28 AM »
Yes, bend it so it follows the centerline of the wrist. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:20:41 PM »
Next time when you do a cast off leave the wrist straight and cast off from the comb area starting at the end of the wrist.  Not a big deal, bend the tang.

DP

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
It has been my experience that a southern mountain rifle would usually only have a butt plate of 1 1/2" wide or less.  When I build a rifle with a butt plate that is 1 1/2" wide or less I find no reason to add cast off.  I think way too many people add cast off to their rifles for the sake of cast off and then end up with an overly big cheek piece.  My two cents worth.
DMR

Offline LynnC

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »
Northm - Where to start the cast-off sparked quite a debate among the builders awhile back. :o

Dave - I probably could have done without the cast-off and it did make inletting the long tang interesting.  Cast-off seemed like a good idea at the time :-[
Lynn

billd

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I just bent it a little.  David, you make a good point about narrow stocks not needing cast-off, and Lynn, you spoke my thoughts. "seemed like a good idea at the time"

Thanks again,
Bill