Author Topic: buttplate on Southern Mtn Gun  (Read 2741 times)

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
buttplate on Southern Mtn Gun
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:12 AM »
Hi folks,I am in the planning stage to build a SMR,and I am considering buttplate/toeplate area.It seems to my tired ol brain there is some record,ie,an existing gun,that has the buttplate toe bent over the bottom and into a toeplate of sorts.Any one else seen this,or is this idea the results of a pizza and icecream nightmare?Thanks ,Dave :D

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: buttplate on Southern Mtn Gun
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:34:35 AM »
Seems like I've seen something like that but can't recall where. Maybe in "Gunsmiths of WV" but I have temporarily misplaced my copy it seems. I looked through the guns attributed to southern makers in RCA II but didn't see it.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:28 AM »
I saw a very nice reproduction on the contemporary blog while searching around just last week - for the life of me I can't remember who made it.  It was a piece made in the 1970s, but its craftsmanship is better than most reproductions of that time.  It looked like a great way to protect that fragile area AND do away with the sharp edge. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
I knew I had seen this on some ones project and ran across this example of the very thing discussed.
This is based in similarity to the John Davidson Rifle. note how the butt plate wraps around the toe and toe plate.
Dave Blaisdell