Author Topic: Hand inletting a swamped 48" barrel  (Read 18192 times)

Offline okawbow

Re: Hand inletting a swamped 48" barrel
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 01:48:44 AM »
I haven't had a lot of time to work on my new rifle for a while, but I have got the stock shaped, the buttplate, lock, trigger, and sideplate inletted. I've roughed out the carving, and am getting ready to inlet the ramrod pipes. I made the pipe set today, using the Gunsmith of Grenville co. book as a guide. More pictures in a couple days, but here are the ramrod pipes.

Any words of wisdom on doing the job right is appreciated. As I said earlier; this rifle is inspired by an early, possibly colonial era rifle attributed to George Shreyer.

photo (1) by okawbow, on Flickr
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

kaintuck

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 01:56:03 PM »
 ;Dodging good....keep up the work! You will have a fine rifle when done...
Marc

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
"Any words of wisdom on doing the job right is appreciated."

Okabow, if you are referring to the thimble inlets, just go straight down and go slow on the rear thimble and you will do fine.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline okawbow

Re: Hand inletting a swamped 48" barrel (plus brass work)
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 02:29:31 AM »
Today I made a one piece nose cap for the rifle. First time for me. Not perfect, but very much like the original.

I made a form out of osage orange wood. Used .032 brass, and annealed it often. Was easier than I expected. Took about 3 hours to make and fit.

Next project: patchbox.

photo (43) by okawbow, on Flickr

P7120575 by okawbow, on Flickr

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:35:27 AM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:34 PM »
Filed my patchbox finial as close to the original as possible. Spent about 5 hours or so getting it shaped and inlet.

I will need to install a catch. anyone know what might be right for a colonial Shreyer?

photo (44) by okawbow, on Flickr

photo (45) by okawbow, on Flickr

galamb

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2014, 11:40:32 PM »
In the Gunsmith of Grenville County, George Schreyer's patchbox release system is shown in great detail.

He used a pushrod that was activated on the top (comb line) of the buttplate, that was fastened into the the latch spring (rather than simply pushing it).

The latch spring was peened into place on the butt plate as well and then groves were cut in the butt stock to allow the whole shebang to be fastened as one unit (so push rod and latch were integral to the butt plate itself).

Really difficult to explain but don't want to scan and post the pic from book (for copyright reasons).

(if you can beg/borrow a copy of the book it can be found on page 284 of the "reprinted" edition)

Personally, I would go with the patchbox release kit that MBS sells for under 10 bucks - unless someone pulled your butt plate you could never tell it wasn't "the way George did it" :)

Offline okawbow

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 12:21:56 AM »
Thanks, Graham, I have a copy of the book. I guess I missed the patchbox release some how.

I'm still waiting on a triggerguard from Mr. Goerhring, sights to make and install, and the rifle will be complete. There will be lots of hours left smoothing, polishing, and finishing.

It's a LONG rifle

photo (46) by okawbow, on Flickr