Author Topic: rigby hammer  (Read 2783 times)

Offline snapper

rigby hammer
« on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:01 AM »
I realize that this is the American LR forum.  I am posting this as I thought it might interest some, and if an English rifle is off limits, I apologize and wont post any more on this rifle.

This Rigby rifle was made in 1864, it was sold to Robert S. Greenhill in Ireland.  Cost was  £ 25/4/0 He was a member of the first Irish Team to enter the Elcho Shield match in 1865 at Wimbledon, lead by Mr. Rigby.

Greenhill also travelled to the US as part of the Irish 'squad' for the Centennial match in 1876.

I picked up this rifle a few weeks ago and it had a broken hammer and cracked escutcheon.

I don't have the talent to fix the hammer, but I know a guy that does.  The pictures I think speak for themselves.  The hammer and escutcheon is off to the engraver and then color case.

This gunsmith welds a file like a master painter uses a paint brush.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline T*O*F

Re: rigby hammer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:13:45 AM »
This gunsmith welds a file like a master painter uses a paint brush.
Art,
I think you meant wields a file.
He's a member of the forum.
Did he repair the broken one or modify the replacement casting?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:14:42 AM »
Jim Westberg fixed the old one.  The replacement hammer I fitted it and had it machined to accept the half cock safety.

The pictures are all of the original hammer.

Fleener

Offline snapper

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
Dave you are right, I did mean wields a file, thanks.  I was in a hurry to get out the door for a couple of meetings.

Fleener

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 04:32:25 PM »
That is an awesome repair job Snapper.  You certainly picked the right guy for the job.  I want to her how that thing shoots!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing