Author Topic: Southern Mountain Rifle  (Read 5184 times)

Offline Chris in Washington

Southern Mountain Rifle
« on: July 14, 2014, 03:10:16 AM »
Here is my latest attempt at a southern mountain rifle.  It started out as a kit I picked up from here back in 2011.   .50cal Getz 42" barrel,  Davis lock and triggers.  Special thanks to Dave Rase for all the help.   Horn is by Scott Morison and bag by Jeff Bibb.

Hope to get out to shoot it next weekend
Chris Statz

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Southern Mountain Rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 03:36:43 AM »
I really like it. You made that curl POP in that stock. Let us know how she shoots ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:56 AM »
Man,what a nice rifle.Really like the nosecap and front site.Question begs ta be axt,pilgrim,whay didja make it a caplock?lol,just a flint would look right at home there,too,and ye wouldna have to fret about gittin them caps.Keep it up,I would be proud to claim it. :D  Dave

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:03:48 AM »
Chris nice work on your mountain rifle. Dave Rase is a salt of the earth guy no doubt about it. Let us see how your target session with it works out for sure. We have some great builders here in the NW that are very free with their knowledge and time. I still have some projects parts from a "Hammer in" that Dave Rase and Mike Keller hosted there in Enumclaw years ago. What a blast it was to get together and pound out Iron mounts for mountain guns.

Dave Blaisdell

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 04:08:40 AM »
Dave,  long story short,  I would have liked to have built it as a flinter, but the stock was already inletted for this lock and it came with it.  I have an Ash stocked mountain rifle in the works that is a filnter!   ;D
Chris Statz

Stuartg

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 05:13:21 AM »
Looks pretty darn nice! Very well done and man I like that nose cap. Looking forward to seeing your flinter.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 05:36:11 AM »
Count me as another who really likes your poured nosecap and front site!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
I can't take all the credit for the nose cap.  Dave had a hand in that, and it turned out great.  Thanks for all the compliments on the rifle. 
Chris Statz

Mike R

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 03:40:25 PM »
Nice!  I like it as a caplock--I know I am in the minority here, in that I like caplocks as much as flinters--I guess it is because I grew up around them.  Really, most surviving southern Mt rifles are caplocks.  Many of the original flinters in the backwoods were converted to percussion about the time of the civil war, too.  The first perc locks started showing up west of the Miss R in ~ 1830.  I remember as a child seeing men in the Ozarks and Smokies country still hunting with caplock longrifles in the 1950s. The first ones I shot were perc rifles. The first one I made was a perc longrifle and it still is the best shooter I own. That said I too have fallen into the flintlock cult and have many--you can't have too many longrifles!

ken

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »
Really nice gun! I love a simple piece that is done well, Hope it shoots as well as it looks. Job well done. ken

kaintuck

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 03:56:46 AM »
Aww.....that there is a really GOOD job! I'm impressed, you need to keep at it, and take Dave a big apple cobbler pie for helping you!

Marc