Author Topic: Lott lock trigger  (Read 3059 times)

brobb

Lott lock trigger
« on: February 06, 2009, 03:37:26 AM »
Several years ago I built a trade gun using one of two Petersoli "Lott" locks that I had somehow acquired.  The gun has a simple pinned trigger.  When you fire the gun the trigger does not drop back into the unfired position.  You have to push the trigger forward to allow the lock to be cocked.  This is irritating but as the cause was not readily apparent to me I just lived with it.  It has a slotted metal trigger plate, the trigger is a reasonable close fit in the slot in the stock and the sear arm extends 1/4" past the trigger.  I am finishing a fowler that uses the other lock.  The fowler has the same pinned trigger and it sticks in the fired position the same!  Arrgh!  I cannot stand to have two like this.  Please help me find what is going on and correct my set up.

Bruce Robb

Offline Eric Laird

Re: Lott lock trigger
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:02:21 AM »
Bruce,
If the trigger moves freely in the triggerplate when it's out of the stock, then the first thing I would suspect is the trigger slot in the wood. It could either be binding on the sides of the slot, or the top of the trigger bar could be catching in the top of the trigger slot. A little bit of inletting black on the trigger bar should show you where it is, then it's just a matter of removing the offending wood. Hope this helps.
Eric
Eric Laird

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:45 AM »
Just as Bruce has shared you need to assess the fit of the trigger and the plate. the problem with a high pinned trigger is that the trigger plate can twist a small degree causing binding that is not evident wiht the trigger plate out of the stock. A light smoking of the trigger with a candle  will allow the reinstallation of the trigger through the plate, repined and  then pull it all apart and check for rubb spots. The trigger blade will show drag points that the trigger plate rubbs against it. Dress down these specific points. The one area that can be an issue is the tip of the trigger blade as it rises up to engauge the sear bar can bind in the inlet that is not quite deep enough for the trigger to fall freely back into place. Just deepening the trigger mortice at the back end will keep this from catching.
Dave Blaisdell

Online Joe Stein

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 05:03:08 AM »
That sure is frustrating.  The first thing I would do is pull the lock out of the stock and see if the trigger still sticks, and at what point in its travel it begins to stick.  You may also be able to feel if the trigger is hanging up on wood or metal when you don't have the pressure of the lock on it.  Just a thought.

-Joe

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
Also check that the sear arm is really free to move in its hole.  Consider replacing the sear spring as well if it is weak as I have seen on Lott locks.  All the springs are weak on one I have.
Andover, Vermont

brobb

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 04:31:11 AM »
I got it!  Thanks for your ideas, I needed the support as I was getting pretty frustrated.  I seems like the trigger was twisting slightly and binding in the triggerplate.  I opened up the slot a little and chamfered the upper corners of the trigger plate slot.  It works fine now. Whew!  Maybee I had better take another look at that trade gun.

Bruce Robb