Author Topic: patch box idea???  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
patch box idea???
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:41:20 PM »
Just kinda thinking outside,way out side the box.Anybody ever consider using the end of the elk antler for a patch box finale.Cut,flat,filed,polished to the profile of the stock,still retaining some of the rough look.Be interesting to try to inlay.Perhaps use the button itself for the lid or part of the beam?Not sure,but I'm thinking some sort of mountain rifle adorned with some folksy,Americana stuff for a next build.Didn't get around to thinking about a hinge.ect.Mind seems to wonder off while looking at the present build I'm working on.[ ][/url]

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: patch box idea???
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
  Joe there was a guy at the Kalamazoo show. Who had a nice rifle with an antlered box. Thought it was cool. Oldtravler

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 10:55:26 PM »
Figured somebody would have tried or at least thought about it.Have one antler that's plenty big enough.Could even soften it up some to make it more oval.Would you happen to have noticed what he did for a hinge?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »
JOE DON'T DO IT!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 11:52:26 PM »
Just thinking........stuff like that just stops in for a visit from time to time :o

Offline elk killer

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »
Saw that done on a Leman Daisy style cap box. was screwed to the brass cap box lid from under it looked funky
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline mtlonghunter

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 11:57:18 PM »
If you email me your address I have one picture of a german style rifle with antler for a sliding patch box cover. Mtlonghunter@gmail.com

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 12:53:01 AM »
If it were me I would not basterdize an american rifle with it. I have seen Continental European guns with such stuff but I have never seen an American longrifle with anything like that. Just my opinion.

Offline redheart

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 01:43:37 AM »
Sacrilege  :o
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:44:21 AM by redheart »