Author Topic: Glue repair question  (Read 3424 times)

Joe C

Glue repair question
« on: February 06, 2009, 10:18:47 PM »
Hi folks . 
 Been quite a while since i have been on this site, looks quite a bit different........
 hope someone can help me out . 

I am  sure this question  has been asked dozens of times and i hate to even ask it again ............but.

I broke off a  small section of the toe of my stock  , it is curly maple stock and the piece i broke off is about  1" long , 3/4 wide and 1/4 thick .
 It is a very clean break and the piece fits back on the stock almost invisible.
 I tried doing a search for a suggestion on what glue would be best to use for the repair , but i wasn't coming up with anything that helped .  (could be searching wrong , that happens to me a lot :-[ :-[ :-[
  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Joe Chindemi

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
Re: Glue repair question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:19:48 PM »
Yellow carpenter glue Elmers or Titebond cinch it down with inner tube or (better) surgical tubing.
Wax where you don't want the glue to stick since it will squeeze out under the tubing.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Birddog6

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 12:48:02 AM »
Elmers "Stainable" Wood Glue.  Tape it down or rubber bands or surgical tubing.

Test the clamping first........  if the bands or tubing will not stay on, lay it over a piece of wood & cut out a mold like it & then cut lil grooves in the mold for the bands.  Put the glue on the broken piece & stock, press the piece in place, lay some waxed paper or saran wrap over it, put the mold on it & then band it down.

;)

Offline Simon

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 02:01:24 AM »
When I knocked the bottom of the toe off my stock, I glued the piece  back with waterproof white glue, then inleted a toe plate over it and put two screws through the plate, and the broken piece into the stock.Stayed on until I sold the gun ten years latter.
Mel Kidd

hyltoto

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
accragel with dye makes an almost repair. I have yet to glue anything with elmers that didn't leave a line.

northmn

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 07:39:12 PM »
Stain the inside of the breaks before gluing.  The glues mentioned are good, especially the carpenters glues.  The big problem is always holding the piece in place while they set up.  Some slanted breaks are a real challenge and need some creative holding measures as they like to slide, ecpecially with wet glue to lubricate them.

DP

George F.

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 07:45:11 PM »
My suggestion is glue it and clamp it, the rubber bands, surgical tubbing works good, but you have to get the glue joint tight. Before you glue it examine the broken pieces at the break are for splinters, if there any unless they are on the edges of the stocks exterior, remove them, they will not permit you to getting the tight joint that you want. After the glue has dried, like overnite,it's best to drill a hole from the toe and into the remainder of the butt and glue a dowel in the hole.If the gun has a toe plate, I'm guessing it doesn't, the toe plate will hide the dowel. Point of fact is, that's what the toe plate was designed to avoid, toe breakage. You can use a 1/8" dowel. When drilling the hole try to get 90 degrees to the break. You do have a small break though. The dowel repair may not be neccessary. To hold the pieces from sliding use painters tape to minimize this.   ...Geo.