Author Topic: Hunting sword and baldric  (Read 2930 times)

Offline JW

Hunting sword and baldric
« on: August 19, 2014, 10:21:49 PM »
My wife gave this sword to me this past Christmas. The sword is from G. Gedney Godwin (they outsource these). It's a very fantastic sword and the scabbard is a great fit. Fantastic deal for the money. Unlike many weapons outsourced overseas, the blade actually features a period maker's stamp (seen below). Google "British sword maker Samuel Harvey" and you can see the running fox mark on some period blades.

I made the baldric with leather and a buckle from Najecki.

These pics feature some items from my late 1760's/1770's kit / which doubles as my hunting gear. The rifle (which can barely be seen) is my .50 which I am selling to make way for a Roy Stroh commission. I made the horn and the shot pouch was crafted by James Rogers based on an original pouch with likely 18th century VA provenance. The buckle is based on one dug here in my home town. I have made a couple home-spun pouches which I'm proud of but this one is my favorite.

If anyone is interested, I can get a better picture of the knife in the picture now that I think about it. Made by Ken Hamilton. It is an absolute dead ringer for the prototypical circa mid-18th century English butcher/scalper knife. The blade profile and stone-ground finish is right, the Sheffield touch marks are right... Even the "cutler's cement" is right (brewer's pitch and brick dust mixed to fill in gaps and create a strong adhesive). Anyhow, this post is about the sword, so here goes:

gizamo

Re: Hunting sword and baldric
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:04:22 PM »
Welcome to the Board.

Good choice on the sword. Looks most excellent.

I too, have a Roy Stroh being built...and have one of his New England fowlers. Have a few of Kenny Hamiltons knives... He is sending me a plug bayonet this week with a frog that he made. He does great work on all his blades. Like the simple bag that James made you. Nice and small, with correct looking architecture. About as HC as they get !

Giz

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Hunting sword and baldric
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
   Nice clean and neat leather work. Vinegaroon black?