Author Topic: Pecatonica Early Fullstock Fowler  (Read 4040 times)

Stuartg

Pecatonica Early Fullstock Fowler
« on: September 05, 2014, 04:18:23 PM »
Buying parts for a fowler build and had a stock question. Has anyone built one using Pecatonica's early fullstock fowler? I'm not sure if it's my eyes or what but I'm having a hard time seeing the architecture similar to other English or New England fowlers. It'd be great to see some pics of builds using this stock, if possible.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Pecatonica Early Fullstock Fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
I have not used one but I have had one in hand and was not impressed. For something in a precarve I would suggest Chambers kits or maybe Mike Brooks has some of his Birmingham stocks available. They will come out looking more like a historical piece as opposed to a faceless portrait.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
I have not used one but I have had one in hand and was not impressed. For something in a precarve I would suggest Chambers kits or maybe Mike Brooks has some of his Birmingham stocks available. They will come out looking more like a historical piece as opposed to a faceless portrait.

I second these notions.  It's pretty much the same amount of trouble to do it right, so
do it right. 

best!
Hold to the Wind

Stuartg

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 06:55:39 PM »
Yeah, I can't put my finger on it, but something doesn't look quite right. I do, however, like their Tulle. I thought about going that direction and fashioning it to be more of a New England style fowler. Thanks for the input!

ken

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:37 PM »
I put together one from them years ago and it came out well . One could see the English flavor and it is comforble to shoot , will not beat your cheek. I do not see the problem    ken

jamesthomas

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:11:56 AM »
 I'm going to get Muzzleloader Builders Supply Flintlock Fowler myself, Haven't decided on weather to get Colerains 38" "C" weight 20 gauge or their 42 inch smoothbore in 24 gauge.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:34 AM »
Years ago someone purchased 10 or 12 of these to make guns for Fort Michilimackinac. I made 2 of them. They were totally wrong for what they wanted and horrid. Mismatched parts, 36" octagon to round barrels, French type locks, later percussion stuff here & there. A total embarrassment. They wanted these turned into Brown Bess's. Right. It was not possible to do. They gave all the parts to anyone at the Mackinac Voyagers camp that would build them for free so they got no 2 alike in return. I shot one in a trade gun league before I turned it in. It shot OK but was butt ugly. Oh and I won the league that year using it. I figured it would be OK to do. I had to make it unshootable before returning it. They didn't want any of their weekend soldiers hurting themselves, I reckon.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:25:44 AM by Keb »