Author Topic: Glen McClain Knife  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Glen McClain Knife
« on: August 17, 2014, 07:08:42 AM »
Great work on this knife.  It's unusual and really well made.  
The Celtic knot does not look like an easy carve to do.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com/2014/08/knife-by-glen-mcclain.html

(Link added by moderator.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 02:21:57 AM by Ky-Flinter »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Chuck Burrows

• Wild Rose Trading Company
Re: Glen McClain Knife
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 07:20:48 PM »
That is a nice piece that Glen made - it's probably based at least somewhat on an original found at Culloden.

Here's a short tutorial on making a dirk that includes some info on the carving
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/829129
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
Thanks for sharing that. I just learned alot here
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »
I cant see the OP's Image, but here is a pretty old McClain knife in the same vein of the Culloden Moor find that Chuck posted.  This one is from the late 80's, and was published in IIRC  MuzzleBlasts.  This is not my oldest McClain knife as I have a couple from the early 70's(A throwing knife and a bearjaw).  When my Father decided to quit buckskinning at the end of the Bicentennial, Glen signed up for probably more than he expected and agreed to cart me around to events.  

I just picked up my 10th I think, McClain piece at CLA, a Pipe tomahawk that can be converted to hammer poll or spike hawk depending on the task at  hand. 

Well I didnt actually pick it up at CLA, it was off being photographed and Glen had to bring it to me Sunday. 

« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:24:37 AM by Luke MacGillie »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 10:46:46 PM »
Something I really like about those.  Might have to see if he wants to do another one.