Author Topic: Silver for inlays  (Read 5782 times)

Offline Scota4570

Silver for inlays
« on: September 16, 2014, 07:32:49 PM »
I want to do a oval cheekpiece inlay on a long rifle.  Should I use a worn real silver dollar? Run it through a jewler's sheet metal roller, then engrave, and inlet?  Is there an easy source of sheet silver that folks use?   Or, should I use aluminum and not tell?  Aluminum was more precious back then after all.  : ) 

Offline LRB

• WICK ELLERBE
Re: Silver for inlays
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:39:47 PM »
  Use coin or sterling silver. I can't see aluminum being appropriate on any longrifle, for any reason.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
You could always use "German Silver" or more properly, nickel silver.  It's an alloy of about 60% copper and 20% each nickel and zinc.  It isn't quite as bright in color as real silver (slight yellow/grey tint) but is often used, readily available in sheets of several thicknesses, and not expensive.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
No need to ask a jeweler to roll a silver coin, just planish it yourself.  A couple of anealing cycles and you should be good to go.  

I personally use sheet sterling silver for my inlays.  For me it is a lot less work.

As for the aluminum comment, (yuk) you would be better off using German or nickle silver.

David

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:54:38 PM »
Use a coin that is made of silver and not worth more that the silver content. Do like David said and flatten it your self just use enough annealing cycles so that it will flatten nicely. Will make a nice thumb piece. I would not use German silver it does not look like real silver and is not of the time period. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »
I have access to a roller.  I friend has a knack for acquiring odd tools.  

I see there are some later silver dollars that are lower silver content.  They are worth $6 instead of $18 melt value.  Are those useable? 

Should I be using a dollar or a 50-cent piece?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 08:01:48 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 08:19:42 PM »
The older the coin the more silver content (I believe). I have used old Morgan quarters (still have over 35), old quarters and 50 cent pieces from the 40's & 50's. I think they stopped with the "silver coins" in the mid 60's (1964 I think). Do a search on the web.
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline louieparker

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
Its far simpler and probably cheaper to just buy coin silver in sheets. You can get it as thin as .016
Louie

Offline Captchee

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Its far simpler and probably cheaper to just buy coin silver in sheets. You can get it as thin as .016
Louie

Yep. You can also order silver or diffrent alloys  in   sheet from any of the jeweler suppliers like Reo Grand .
 while it is true aluminum was  rare , I  don’t know of it ever being used on guns  either here or in Europe

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 10:53:24 PM »
Hi,
Try www.riogrande.com and look at their sheet silver and silver ovals.  An 18 guage 3" x 1" sheet of sterling should cost about $13 plus shipping.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:30:12 AM »
Pre-1964 silver dollars, half dollars, quarters and dimes are mostly silver.  Go to Riogrande and get the sheets or ovals or planish yourself if you have a quarter on hand.  The premium you pay for coins makes it cheaper to get sheet.

Thom

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 08:48:19 AM »
For the price that 90% silver coins are going for these days it seems .999 pure silver is a better buy. Less than $19 an ounce today.

kaintuck

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 02:11:35 PM »
Knife mat'l suppliers also sell metals....try texas knife.

Good question! I have a future build that will have a oval on the PB lid...... :-\

Marc n tomtom

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:08:35 PM »
Never say never.Years ago I was helping a friend build a rifle and he brought an old aluminum German coin his father had from WWII that he thought would be nice to use on his rifle.I convinced that this would never have been done because it was aluminum.About a month later there was an article in Muzzle Blast about a gunmaker known for his target rifles [late perc.].One of his advertisements stated that he used inlays of the rare metal aluminum.Sorry,but I don't remember the makers name.    Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Captchee

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »
 that would be an article to have Bob .
  And our right . One should probably never say never .
 But  until someone comes up with some period example of  aluminum being used for inlays  OR you can remember the article  were kind of stuck  aren’t we .

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 03:04:28 PM »
Aluminum was actually used for inlays by several maker's in the area of West Virginia during the mid 19th century (percussion period). It was more valuable than silver at that time. When it comes to German silver or nickle silver, I like to use materials that are at hand and inexpensive. The common Jefferson nickles have made very good forestock escutcheons and thumb piece inlays on a couple of rifle's I have built that represent the late flintlock through the percussion period. For larger inlays, I use silver coins that have been worn beyond their historic, collectable value. A coin dealer nearby has a bowl set out on his show case with silver coins he sells for melt value.
Joel Hall

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »
 In days gone by aluminum was actually considered a precious metal. Some years ago, the crown jewels of some European country were removed from the vault in preparation for putting them on display. The new curator, that retrieved them from the vault, immediately sounded an alarm, when he picked them up, and found them to be made of aluminum.

Hungry Horse