Author Topic: Most influential builder  (Read 26130 times)

Madcaster

Re: Most influential builder
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »
 You know,these guys are all individuals,and all have great aspects of workmanship!
 But one I have not seen anyone mention is John Ennis....that "Rooster gun" on American Pioneer Video Contemporary Makers was really out of this world!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:18 AM »
Cant disagree with any listed so far. I would add Jim Klein as a builder who makes guns that really capture the spirit of the 18th century....beautiful too!!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 05:12:00 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Roy S.

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 06:06:58 PM »
I will have to agree with you guys  ;D serious on that.. there is some truely great talents out there and I could only wish to be half as good as some of you. 

But my biggest influence was and is my Father..  He said take a year off and learn how to build flintlocks..

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
Ditto, Yer Pop!
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Daryl

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »
After looking through most of the posts here, I can agree with pretty much the lot of them - except - you missed my favourite - Taylor Sapergia - he's built rifles from Hawkens to the many different counties of Pennsylvania rifles and fowlers, a wonderful early Bess, hanful of English Sporting Rifles, a flint English breechloading Flinter (Ferguson), side by side shotgun, holster pistols of English to American styles to Germanic rifles and an exquisite wheelock pistol.  A man who can build almost anything ordered or desired.  Yup - he's my favourite - I'd have to put Jerry Huddleson next for his extraordinary chiseling and inlay work - then , the builders are in a fuzzy state, many pusing for third, with Tom Curren actually taking that spot. yeah- I may be biased, but his work really Shines!

Offline Kermit

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »
Good to see Mark Wheland mentioned. He worked under Allen Martin, as I recall. He was a pleasure to chat with when he built my Berks schihmmel.

I'm always glad to see younger builders coming up. The craft has really spread, and it would be a shame to see it languish.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2009, 05:02:17 AM »
The ones in this area that have been the biggest influence on me, are Tim Mitchell, and Monte Mandarino, although Monte is doing restoration, rather than building now. Ron Paull also does a fine rifle.

Waksupi, I was very impressed with Tim Mitchell and his work when I met him at the 91 Rocky Mountain Rendezvous.  I have never met Monte Mandarino or Ron Paull but have seen pictures of their work.  Very nice (especially Monte's).

BTW where are you located?  Last I heard Tim and Monte were in Montana so I am guessing you are too.  So am I.

Bruce

Bruce, I'm at the head of Flathead Lake, on Lion Mountain. Tim lives about 25 miles west of me, and Monte is about 15 miles north. Last I heard of Ron Paul, he was a minister, in Cutbank, Mt.
Where are you?

Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

WV mountaineer

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:58 AM »
Has anyone seen Kieth Casteel's work from WV?  He's a true master, check his work out if you ever get a chance.