Author Topic: Hunting Pouch Flaps  (Read 4469 times)

Offline Frank Barker

Hunting Pouch Flaps
« on: December 26, 2008, 05:26:17 PM »
Hey Guy's...... I have been reading a book on The WV History Of Kanawha County, that was written in 1876 by former WV Governor George W. Atkinson. There is a section about Colonel Andrew Lewis, who was sent by Governor Farquier, along with four full companies of men to establish a fort at the mouth of the Big Sandy River. This was to counter the aggressions of the French and the Indians, who had constructed a stockade where Gallipolis now stands, then in Virginia. This evidently took place around the year of 1757 or 58. After they arrived within sight of the Ohio River, a messenger reached them from the Governor, with orders for them to return. They reluctantly obeyed the orders and on their return, being exhausted with hunger, fear of the Indians having prevented them from killing any game, and suffering from cold, they reached the left hand fork of the Big Sandy. Here, they cut up a number of buffalo hides into small strings or tugs, and ate them, thus keeping themselves from dying from starvation. Hence they called the stream they were on the "Tug River." and to this day it retains that name. Several who detached themselves from their companies perished in the woods. The main body, under the command of Col Lewis, reached home after much suffering; the buffalo hides, the strings of their moccasins, their leather belts, and "the flaps of their shot pouches," being all the "food" that they had to eat for a number of days............ Yet another use of our hunting pouches that had never entered my mind...........Very intresting.

This same Colonel Andrew Lewis was promoted to the rank of General and on October 10, 1774, led his troops to victory at the battle of Point Pleasant...........
Frank

KennyC

Re: Hunting Pouch Flaps
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:29 AM »
Wow I have to admit tough sons of guns

Online EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 03:11:57 AM »
Mmm flap bacon...

Thanks for the post. Another couple books you might like are "Annals of Bath County" and "historical sketches of Pocahontas county".

I'm always interested in the Lewis family. My ancestors settled on early Lewis family land patents in Virginia and West Virginia and served under Lewis at Point Pleasant, and settled in Gallia County after the war not far from Gallapolis.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 03:20:26 AM by SligoBill »

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 04:16:31 AM »
Frank, thanks for posting this. very interesting. I guess I should add a small bag of salt with the hunting bags I build .

Offline Leatherbark

Fried Flaps
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »
I wonder if they fried the flap or roasted and toasted and salt and peppered it?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 02:37:20 AM by Leatherbark »