Author Topic: Loose rear sight  (Read 5317 times)

Offline rjpalmer

Loose rear sight
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:13 AM »
Can anyone offer suggestions on how to tighten up a rear sight?  What are some of the more common methods used?

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Loose rear sight
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:52:40 AM »
There are lots of different ways to do that and one that I have used is to take sight out and tin the bottom with a thin coat of soft solder then reinstal sight.

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
What works for me, I'm sure there are dozens of ways to fix it.  I take the sight out, place it upside down over a depression lengthwise, then give it a whack with a punch to give the base a SLIGHT concave surface.  Should slide back in with a lot more friction now.  You can also take a metal punch and swage the dovetail slightly tighter.  This must be done in a careful manner so your cleanup on the barrel is minimal.  
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »
There are lots of different ways to do that and one that I have used is to take sight out and tin the bottom with a thin coat of soft solder then reinstal sight.
Plus, "stripple the floor of the dovetail with small punch...then when the sight is tapped back in....they "bite" the solder and tiny little rolls will hold it.
Marc n tomtom

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 02:17:32 PM »
if your barrel finish allows it, try a dab of browning solution for intentional rust.  That'll snug up lots of things.

[BE] careful punching into the flat of the dovetail slot as the bore lives just under [the center of the flat, and displacing metal into the bore is no good].
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:58:15 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »
Probably the simplest way is to just tamp down the lips of your barrel dovetail.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
Place the sight upside down in a vice, take a  crosspeen hammer and lightly stretch the metal along the outside edges of the dovetail ends. This makes the sight longer and should take care of the problem.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Unless you are very careful, punching the bottom of the dovetail on a barrel is not a good idea.  I once had a rifle with a 13/16" .45cal. barrel that some one had punched the rear dovetail floor.  The punch marks put a tight spot in the bore from hitting too hard on a thin barrel and bending the metal into the bore. It is better to work on the replaceable sight than to do too much to the dovetail.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 04:21:57 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 04:27:37 PM »
I place a cold chisel behind the dovetail and give it a tap. It leaves a decorative line and gives the raised dovetail effect all in one operation.

Turtle

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:49:02 PM »
I stretch the sight and leave the barrel alone. If it spoils the looks of the sight, it's a lot easier to replace.
                                    Turtle

Offline rsells

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 08:35:28 AM »
Ever now and again I will get a dove tail that I feel is not as tight a fit as I want, and I take a piece of brass and lay it on top of the dove tail edge on the barrel.  I take a small hammer and peck on top of the brass transferring the pressure down on the lip of the dove tail edge on the barrel.  I do each side seperate.  This has tightened up the dove tail for me several times and did not give me a lot of clean up because of using the brass between the hammer and the dove tail edge.   It all depends upon how much clearence you have between the sight and barrel dovetail.  There is a point that it will not tighten it up enough to fix the issue unless you make a new sight.
                                                                                                Roger Sells

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:56:25 PM »
Unless you are very careful, punching the bottom of the dovetail on a barrel is not a good idea.  I once had a rifle with a 13/16" .45cal. barrel that some one had punched the rear dovetail floor.  The punch marks put a tight spot in the bore from hitting too hard on a thin barrel and bending the metal into the bore. It is better to work on the replaceable sight than to do too much to the dovetail.

I didn't use enough words in my post.  this was the point i meant to make.  Thanks
Hold to the Wind

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 05:53:23 PM »
Ever now and again I will get a dove tail that I feel is not as tight a fit as I want, and I take a piece of brass and lay it on top of the dove tail edge on the barrel.  I take a small hammer and peck on top of the brass transferring the pressure down on the lip of the dove tail edge on the barrel.  I do each side seperate.  This has tightened up the dove tail for me several times and did not give me a lot of clean up because of using the brass between the hammer and the dove tail edge.   It all depends upon how much clearence you have between the sight and barrel dovetail.  There is a point that it will not tighten it up enough to fix the issue unless you make a new sight.
                                                                                                Roger Sells

I didn't use enough words in my post either. Thank you Roger, to a tee!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:30 AM »
Or you can take one of the aluminum Coke cans that you emptied at the range and cut a small shim or shims out of it.  Once you get the sight in tight, use your knife to trim the tag ends of aluminum that stick out of the dove tail.  Not an elegant fix, but works in a pinch.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.