Author Topic: Beastie rifle  (Read 27735 times)

Thom

Re: Beastie rifle
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
Quote Dave P UK "Other folks tool marks always look so much nicer than mine..."

Had to laugh hard at that one. I have a difficult time incorporating imperfections into my work. I'm one of those anal, Engineering types that must approach perfection. Perfect imperfections are hard for us to attain.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2014, 02:31:10 PM »
I'm curious.  Is the sideplate inletted, or surface mounted?  If it's inletted, it's so perfect that it appears to be surface mounted.  For all the talk of tool marks, the whole rifle looks perfect to me.  I am very envious of all the crisp lines that I see on in-process pictures of this rifle and many others that are posted on this site.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2014, 05:12:22 PM »
So many of us have no access to original work, self included, until I really made an effort. For me it takes travel, and putting myself out there, meeting people, talking on the phone, exchanging ideas and photos on the web, research.

While this may at first seem daunting, it becomes a natural part of your life. As I have gotten older, I made the switch from girls to guns, and so I am no longer multi-tasking. Don't get me wrong, I love women, but I don't have the traction I once imagined I had.  ;D

So I put the time where it reaps the most benefit, as it were.

Guns that are hundreds years old, will show tool marks, if they are not worn right down to the bone. A source for gun photos is our ALR library; look in areas that don't see a lot of wear, around the locks, guards, etc for tell-tale tool marks. SOme of the better publications with clear color photos are good, and the CD's of the KRA and KRF are excellent sources of info. Best is to see the guns in person; but most of us have to travel for this experience. Gun shows, Dixon's and CLA shows are another good source.

Acceptable finish: guns were tools in the 18th and 17the Centuries, unless you got into the presentation guns, but they are not the focus of the ALR site. We deal with the guns of the settler, the landowner, the pioneer.

I think in today's world, in general, we have come to expect a higher level of finish than people did in the 18th Century. This is my opinion, and I hope this does not come off as fact. And it's a general statement, for there were certainly exceptions to the norm.

This is my rant for the day: I don't believe that perfect is better. I like to see that the object was made by a human, made in a workmanlike manner. Toolmarks are part of this equation. Shape is critical, in guns(and women), color, design, choice of components, etc. The overall effect is that the object is warm, has life, and most importantly, because of its minor flaws, I can relate to it.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2014, 05:13:14 PM »
Dave, Sideplate IS inletted, about 1/16" deep.

Online t.caster

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 08:48:57 PM »
I love everything about it! I thought it was an original before I started reading your description! That's a compliment!
Someone else asked about your method of stock finish and I was wondering the same thing? Is the much maligned BLO making a comeback?
The pb lock type mechanism is really cool! Does it lock into the butt plate? Picture please!
Nice little treatment to the transition down to the midpoint of the barrel (in-the-white), above the side plate! Don't believe I have seen that one before. And I don't see it on the finished rifle.
Thanks for sharing it with us! I gotta go back and look some more :o

The other TC
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 12:44:44 AM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2014, 03:53:57 AM »
TC, I do use BLO, on top of AF, and some mahogany stain for highlights, some walnut stain for 'dirt', some shellac. Layer upon layer, cutting back, and layering some more.

I'm just learning about this finishing business, making it look old. I hope to improve my skills and knowledge on the next gun, etc. I took some finishing lessons in trade from a local furniture restorer. Best thing I ever did.

Offline davebozell

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2014, 02:23:38 PM »
Layering for finish is very important.  I also make Windsor chairs.  I learned about 25 years ago how to layer finishes onto a chair to make it look 200 years old.  For the chairs that I make, it takes seven "layers" of finish to get the final results that I want.  I hadn't really thought about it, but those same steps will probably work well (with different types of finish) on a rifle.

Vomitus

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:52 PM »
    I'd like to help you out Tom. Just send it here and I'll age it nice and gracefully for ya! I'll work up a good load for it too. I'll let Daryls help with this!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2014, 09:38:27 PM »
Thanks, Belly, you're the generous sort. Tom

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2014, 07:53:16 PM »
Same gun, new photo slide show:
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/Tom45-70/slideshow/Contemporary%20guns/Early%20rifle

Jim W. Filipski is the magician behind the shutter. He makes my work look yummy.

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »
Very nice work indeed. I could not help to think about all the comments in Jim's recent thread on creativity as I looked at your rifle. What a statement your rifle makes in that it has that original look and I am sure feel, yet it has that touch of your design creation at the same time.

Well done Sir
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline PPatch

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »
Everyone waxing poetic about creativity and history and here is you over in the corner grinning like a Chesire cat, feathers ALL AROUND yo mouth!

Send that down south for a while Acer - I want to fondle it. Outstanding work sir.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

kaintuck

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2014, 01:48:23 AM »
Nice work!
I'm just a beginner.....only my kat likes my work so far....and I think it's because I feed him.
I will have to get more practice, to do such justice to wood and metal.
And your dovetail plane is super neat.....I am a 'toolaholic'.....

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2014, 02:02:27 AM »
Awww, guys, thanks for the kind words.  ;D

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2014, 08:38:41 AM »
Well done Tom!  It photographs well.

Why am I hungry for fried zucchini?

Curits
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

dlubbesmeyer

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2014, 06:10:40 PM »
I be but a lowly apprentice here sirs, but really this rifle is glorious! I am so inspired by your work Acer. The story of this gun is great, and adds a lot of character to the piece. The guns from this era really trip my trigger so to speak, as I am currently attempting a Schreit-like for my first blank; to the point of ramrod hole finished & 1st barrel lug in. Additionally, your gun photography is really beautiful and displays the rifle to its fullest. I am a Hermann Historica fan, and feel this rifle would be something that would be on that site, (and who knows may be sometime in the future ;D). What a wonderful contribution to our gun history.

LURCHWV@BJS

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 03:56:25 AM »
Keith Casteel( Castil)????  Impressed me greatly when I first became aware of the muzzleloading community.  I saw one of his pieces and thought nobody could ever come close to his work.

I was wrong.

Tom, this rifle is exquisite. The engraving is excellent. Masterful execution.

Thank you for sharing

Rich

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 04:32:34 AM »
Chappie, how ya doin!

Just so you don't walk away totally impressed, I did NOT engrave the mounts. They are reproductions of original mounts, which were cast in the 18th cent, I assume. Where, I don't know. The detail on the originals was not chased in, it was cast.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2014, 04:57:54 PM »
Acer,

Its been a while since I have been able to check in here.  All your other  friends have beat me to the punch.  I love what you have created!  You NEVER cease to amaze me with your craft and craftiness.  I can't wait to fondle it when we meet at the Fair this summer.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 03:12:59 AM »
Missed the first edition of this thread...

LOVE the latch spring.  Like the whole gun, but that latching mechanism (especially the spring) really tilts my whirl;D
Hold to the Wind

kaintuck

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »
I like the fancy lad wearing a dress on the buttplate......ahahahahaha..... ;D

Marc n tomtom

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
A job very well done Sir. I liked your statement, " i am still learning this finishing stuff" ain't that the truth. The more i learn the more i realize i don't know. Very nice rifle.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"