Author Topic: Honey, I shrunk the Haga! (Thanks for the tip Eric vonA)  (Read 12200 times)

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Honey, I shrunk the Haga!
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
I like it, Dave.  It has a very credible appearance.  Great job!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 12:49:39 AM »
Sweet work Dave. I especially love the carving.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 02:08:06 AM »
Hi and Thanks,
Jim, Eric, Kl, thank you for the compliments.  Coming from you guys it means a lot.  Eric, the only draw back to the small Siler is that it really needs flints no longer than 5/8" to have enough whip to produce good spark.  It can do that nicely but only with pretty short flints.  By the way, your Beck just blows me away.   
Pete G. - I agree with you and thank you.  I really wanted to test my level of skill to reduce the time and fuss I usually apply to my guns.  The training ground for that was my experience engraving metal, particularly metal parts that are already inlet and secured to a gun.  You have to be confident when you engrave them because you can't fix mistakes.  That experience prompted me to attempt an entire gun that simulates a man who used confident skill to economize his actions to make a living at the task.  It was a very enlightening endeavor and I humbly learned a lot. 

dave   
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 05:55:29 AM »
Eric, the only draw back to the small Siler is that it really needs flints no longer than 5/8" to have enough whip to produce good spark.  It can do that nicely but only with pretty short flints. 

Dave,
   How old was your Siler lock?  A year or two ago Jim switched out the old tumblers with the tumbler from the Golden Age lock, which has its notches further back.  This allows for excellent clearance at half cock, and a long swing before the flint hits the steel.  It would be easy to swap it out to allow for better clearance - I need to do that with my Rupp/Kuntz pistol. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 02:10:05 PM »
Hi Dave,
     Late to the party, but I would like to echo the other compliments.  It adds a whole other dimension to building when you approach a project with the mindset of an original builder.  Most hobby builders don't understand the need to get "product" through the shop and converted to currency or whatever.  It also helped to helped to have several apprentices to do some of the work.  Interesting approach and great result.
All the best,  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 02:44:18 PM »
Late to the party as well, Dave, very nice piece!  Love the look of the finish...

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
Dave.......I really like the overall finish, color, etc.   It seems that as I get closer to finishing a gun, the faster I seem to work.
That is actually the time that you have to slow up and work out all of the details of the finish.  I guess that's why I have been
relegated to doing barn guns.........Don

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 05:18:37 PM »
Very nicely done sir. I love everything about this rifle, i would also join the club of folks that would love to shoot it. ;D
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Honey, I shrunk the Haga! (Thanks for the tip Eric vonA)
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »
Thanks Jim, Ed, Don, and Ron.  I appreciate the comments very much.  Eric, you are completely correct.  The Siler on the gun was a kit bought from TOW.  I also happen to have a new small Siler (assembled) that I bought for another gun and that one is stamped with "C"s in circles so I guess it was actually made by Chambers.  The kit has no markings.  The tumbler on the kit is different without the deep depression for regulating a constant position of the sear at rest, half cock and full cock, and the notches are placed differently.  The new Siler has plenty of clearance for the flint at half cock.  Also, on the kit, the nose of the tumbler dropped 1/32" below the plate when the flintcock was at rest.  I had to reshape it to prevent that, which was very easy to do.  I will swap out the old tumbler.  Thanks for the tip.

dave  
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:03:05 PM by smart dog »

pushboater

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 01:28:15 AM »
Dave, I really like the color.  How strong of a Ferric Nitrate solution did you use and how many coats?

Capt. David

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 02:08:44 AM »
Hi Dave,
Ferric nitrate cyrstals diluted 1:4 (ferric nitrate to water) distilled water.  Applied first coat and blanched with heat gun.  Applied a second coat and heated again.  The stain was then rubbed back with steel wool at the wrist, hand grip (part of forestock) and cheekpiece.  Thanks for looking, dave.

dave