Author Topic: Hello from North Iowa – An Introduction, and Thanks to Jim Chambers  (Read 4278 times)

KevinL

Just thought that I would take a little time to say hello as I just signed up today and introduce myself.  My name is Kevin and I have decided after a very long time away from building anything, it's time to get back at it.

Many years ago I attended a rendezvous and was bitten by the blackpowder bug.  I purchased a CVA Mountain Rifle kit and put it together.  About the same time I got into reading Fox Fire 5 (I think), and noticed that a certain Jim Chambers had an address listed if anyone wanted to correspond and I did.  Thinking that I must have been 14 or 15 at that time.  I took a couple of Polaroid's of that first kit build and sent them off with a letter to Jim.  He was nice enough to send me a letter back telling me that I should attend an accredited school if I wanted to learn about firearms building.  After I graduated from high school, I attend the Gunsmithing and Gun Repair classes at SCC in West Burlington, IA, receiving an AAS Degree, and sent Jim another letter letting him know that I had followed his advice.

Like many others, I ended up going to work in a factory and eventually worked my way into the tool room and served an apprenticeship as well as getting an AAS Degree in Tool & Die Technology.  I worked as both a regular tool maker and then go into another apprenticeship as an Eyelet Press Tool maker.

Eight years ago the opportunity came up to teach at the local community college as the first year instructor.  I teach everything from introduction manual machining and introduction to CNC machining, CAD/CAM, as well as Jigs & Fixtures classes.  I have everything from manual machinery to the latest wire EDM, laser, and rapid prototyping 3D printing available to me, but I’m missing something- thus it’s time to get the files out and do a little work out in my man cave and break out that piece of curly maple that I have had for close to thirty years.

I’m starting out by building a new workbench and doing some re aligning in the shop to make not only metal chips, but wood chips as well.

I have enjoyed what I have read so far on the site.  Thanks Kevin 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Hello from North Iowa – An Introduction, and Thanks to Jim Chambers
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:29 AM »
Welcome!  Interesting story that illustrates how the personal touch makes a difference.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:25:00 AM »
Welcome Kevin, your in for a fun ride with some very talented and nice folks.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:46:44 AM »
Welcome to ALR Kevin. When all those wood and metal chips have fallen what sort of muzzleloader will be revealed? Keep us abreast of your progress. If you don't know already Jim C. lurks this site so you'll see him remarking on this and that at times.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Angus

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:11:04 AM »
Kevin,
Greetings. Iowa, huh, native too? I think there are a few more locals perusing around here. Do you belong to any club?
Have fun and show us your builds. Everyone likes the tutorials, but not the grades. ;D

Hope you are teaching the T&D students well, I could use a couple. Tough to find.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 07:42:56 AM »
Glad to hear from you Kevin,  Jim Chambers & family are some of the nicest people in our sport.  His locks are simply the best on market.   Get to whittling and we DO like pictures....welcome...Tom

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:41:36 PM »
Kevin, sounds like you have the skill and know your way around tools and machinery now all you need is the learning curve on the muzzle loader rifles - good luck!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
Welcome aboard, Kevin. Thank you for your story. That is a very thoughtful piece, and it helps to remind us this site is personal, made up of real people, a real community with a digital interface.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:50:13 AM »
Kevin, welcome.
You made a fortuitous choice when you first corresponded with Jim, and he's still helping builders, new and old.
Hope you enjoy building longrifles as much as I have.

Good Luck,
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 02:55:01 AM »
Well Kevin, it sure took you long enough to get around to doing some longrifle building, but better late than never.  Just joking!  Sounds like my advice has served you well over the years, and for that I'm grateful.  If I can be of any help with your latest project please don't hesitate to ask.  I'm sure you'll find everyone on this site more than willing to give advice.