Author Topic: To burnish or not to burnish?  (Read 2599 times)

magyar

To burnish or not to burnish?
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:38:52 PM »
Hey folks. Now ready to start thinking about the finish for my first build. It is a very nice piece of curly maple. I plan to use aqua fortis, maple stain and then beeswax. I want dark but not too dark. My question, obviously, is about burnishing. I know what this means for metal work but have seen it mentioned a few times for wood. Can you all give me an idea what, why and how it would be done? Necessary? What are the possible results?

Thanks all in advance. I am just curious. And willing to try it if it's worth the time and effort.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: To burnish or not to burnish?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 06:36:56 PM »
Did you see this discussion? :http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23515.0

Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

Re: To burnish or not to burnish?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:07:19 PM »
One thing on the beeswax application; be sure to heat the stock independant of putting on the wax. In other words, give the stock a good heating before applying wax, as you heat test now and then t see if the wax will melt when it touches the stock. A heat gun will do fine but takes time and is rather localized, other ways will work too just don't scorch it. On the stock I just finished with beeswax I clamped the heat gun in a vice and just stood there heating and moving the stock for an even heat build up in it. You will see the wax soak into the wood when you begin with the wax, but at some point it will stop and began to build on the surface. I moved that surface wax around with an inexpensive paint brush for a while with the heat gun in my hand, then wiped the excess wax off the stock while it was still warm with canvas then paper shop towels. The result is a pleasing low sheen. It is not hard to do, have fun.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?