Author Topic: Bending the patchbox  (Read 4525 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Bending the patchbox
« on: September 22, 2014, 12:28:16 AM »
I was wondering how others bend patchboxes to fit the contour of the buttstock?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Bending the patchbox
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:37:23 AM »
I have a hard maple block with several contours carved into it.  I've done both of the following: set the flat patchbox into the carved channel and hit it with another block of wood and hammer.  Also have put the block into the vise with another narrower convex block on the opposite side of the jaws and used a more controlled action with the vise.  The vise is nice for bending the hinge section in a controlled manner. 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »

Offline davebozell

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 02:03:20 AM »
I've used a vise and maple blocks as Eric described, and it worked very well.  I'd recommend it highly. It even worked well to add a slight curve to the hinge. 

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:58 AM »
I just put my thumbs on the back and hook my index fingers over the edges and bend it.  Geez...it's only soft sheet metal.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:49:36 AM »
I picked this up somewhere, and I can't remember where.  I cover the buttstock with wax paper.  Mix up a good portion of Bondo[automotive] and put it onto a piece of scrap 2x4.  Turn the Bondo side down onto the stock and press.  Let it set a few minutes and remove.  Let it set a few more minutes then you can lay your patchbox onto the bondo and carefully hammer it into the exact shape of the stock.  I use a contoured piece of wood between the hammer and the patchbox.  I hope I explained it well enough.
Gary Tucker

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:57:06 AM »
I just put my thumbs on the back and hook my index fingers over the edges and bend it.  Geez...it's only soft sheet metal.

That's what I do......I can also tip the edges a bit with an adjustable wrench.

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »
I use a swedge block I purchased several years ago that has several contours in it.  I take one of those tools (not sure of the name) that carpenters use to take profiles off moldings or hand rails to make replacements to take the contour of my stock where the box is going to be mounted.  I pick the profile on the swedge block that best fits my stock.  I then use a thin piece of leather  to protect the box from the swedge block and another to protect it from the hammer I use and ping the box in the profile that best fits my stock.  A bit of a tidious work, but it works for me.  I fit the hinge after the lid and final is bent to fit the stock. 
                                                                                  Roger Sells

Offline gusd

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
G.T.
Great way to  shape , never thought of it.
Will try it on next build!
Thanks
Gus

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 07:03:25 PM »
gusd, be sure and open the windows because that stuff smells very potent.
Gary Tucker

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:25:20 PM »
Great suggestions, thanks for sharing.  Wish I had hands still capable of bending the finial and hinge, but old hands with several arthritic fingers/thumb makes it necessary to use other techniques.