Author Topic: stock styles  (Read 2069 times)

Offline Daniel

stock styles
« on: September 23, 2014, 04:47:33 PM »
I have been looking hard at the N.C. style stocks on rifles.  I do not understand the reason for
such drastic drop in the stock. How would one even be able to sight one> I cut out a hard board pattern
and it was hard to figure it out. I'd like to try to build one since my family is from Randolf county.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: stock styles
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 05:45:00 PM »
Not all NC rifles have drastic drop. I have seen many that are along the lines of the Gillespie's. Don't know the exact drop on the others but my Mathew Gillespie has only 3.25 inches of drop at the heel. About the same for the rifle I measured made by his son Harvey.

Take a look at Bill Ivey's book on NC rifles ( http://www.northcarolinalongrifles.com/ ), I think you will see many NC rifles that don't have excessive drop.

If you haven't read them, Michael Briggs has some excellent articles on NC rifles in the ALR virtual library, here is a link to them : http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=120.0
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:50:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
as dennis has mentioned, not all NC styles have a lot of drop. before you build one try to find some different styles and shoulder them. depending on your body's build not all styles will fit you.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
On the styles that right. The pattern I cut is wild. You'd need a very long neck.
I'll check out the books. The Gillespie's look intriguing.
Thanks guys.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 06:15:25 PM »
What is interesting is that the Jacksons were out of N.C. There is a Craft Jackson from the Jamestown school.
I have Henry's in the family too from N.C. too.Go figure. Could they be a part of my family?