Author Topic: Gun Makers' Seminar  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Gun Makers' Seminar
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:24:31 AM »
  Starting this January, Jim Kibler and I will be teaching the week long gunstocking class at Canter's Cave in Jackson Ohio. Many of you may be familiar with (or may have attended) Hershel and John House's Gunmaking Seminars at Canter's Cave.   After years of teaching this popular class, Hershel and John decided that from now on they are going to hold their classes at home in Woodbury. Jim and I were honored to be asked to carry on the tradition and keep the class going. From the class flyer:

In this seven day gun building seminar, students will learn how learn how to stock a flintlock rifle or smoothbore gun. Starting from a blank (with pre-inlet barrel), students will learn how to successfully lay out a gun project, effectivly use commonly available hand tools to shape the gunstock and inlet parts, and fabricate gun parts from sheet metal.  Other points including (but not limited to) design principles, forge work, and finishing techniques may also be covered.

The seminar takes place at the secluded Canter's Cave 4-H Camp, located about 7 miles north of Jackson in the scenic hills of Southern Ohio.  Students stay at the lodge on site. Meals are served at the cafeteria on the grounds, and work hours are flexible, making for an ideal opportunity to focus entirely on gun work for a full week.

Class fee is $1075, including a required $375 deposit. Class fee includes meals and lodging, but does not include cost of gun parts.   

These classes were established and coordinated by our friend Dean Freund, who is currently handing over the coordinating duties to Joe McGee. For more information and to register, please contact Joe at 513 - 707-8362 , or at jbmarchtxt@yahoo.com  

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 05:34:15 PM by Ian Pratt »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Gun Makers' Seminar
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »
I'm thrilled to be teaching this class with Ian.  It's a great environment for learning and sure to be lots of fun as well.  I'm already looking forward to it.  If you have any questions, let us know.

Thanks!
Jim

Vomitus

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 04:57:41 AM »
   Thanks for keeping the tradition going,boys! Hard boots to fill, but you guys are talented enough to handle it! Wish I could come. Loong ways away and it's icy over there.

Online Maalsral

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:25:15 AM »
I wish it was at a different time of the year.
Mark Thomas

Offline oldways

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:27:06 AM »
Is this a class for beginners?

galudwig

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:23 PM »
Depends on how much of a "beginner" you are...  In all seriousness, I went to the seminar for the first time in 2013 and I was a bit overwhelmed.  I had some stocking experience beforehand.  However, it was limited to "kit" type guns with pre-carved/inlet stocks.  For this seminar, you start with a stock blank with barrel channel and ramrod hole drilled; that's it.  You will be taught how to properly layout a rifle and the various parts, but the execution is all on you.  Seven days seems like a long time and while the quicker study may go home with a rifle ready to stain and finish, the reality for beginners like me is that you go home with something that resembles a rifle, but with much work still to be done.  However, you also bring home a greater understanding of how to properly stock a rifle and the confidence to go on and do that on your own.  My advice if you take the class is to worry less about finishing your gun and spend most of your time absorbing what they teach you, asking questions, and taking lots of notes.

I repeated the seminar in 2014 and before coming to the class, I was determined to show the instructors that I had learned something by putting into practice what they taught me the previous year.  By the time January rolled around, I had laid out the stock, cut out the profiles, squared up at he fore end, and inlet the tang and the lock.  I even built a simple trigger to install later.  Once I got to the seminar, I was able to concentrate on learning more of the finer points of stocking. 

Another benefit I found was being surrounded by a bunch of people who were passionate about building. 
Most of the other class members were repeat attendee's who had already stocked several guns from blanks and they were always willing to share tips and tricks.  It was like having access to ten different instructors for a week.  It was really an awesome experience and well worth the price of admission.  On a personal level, the camaraderie shared with classmates and with Hershel and John was priceless! 

I'm looking forward to the 2015 seminar and new perspectives from Ian and Jim.  Now I'm hoping that I can convince my boss to give me the time off to attend again.

galudwig

Sawatis

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:21:29 PM »
Well, another thing for my bucket list...hope to hit that one sometime Jim and Ian!
John