Author Topic: Tried and True Beeswax/Linseed Oil Over Linseed Oil with Alkanet Root  (Read 2576 times)

Overmountain Man

Does anyone see a problem of putting Tried and True Linseed Oil/Beeswax finish over standard Linseed Oil with Alkanet Root.  I know your not suppose to put a hard finish over a softer finish, but both of these finishes are soft.  The Linseed Oil with Alkanet Root finish is on my Ferguson rifle to give it an authenic British long arm finish.  The Tried and True Linseed Oil/Beeswax finish would give it some sort of moisture protection, and still remain somewhat authenic as I have read that British officers ordered thier soldiers to apply Beeswax to thier firearms for moisture protection.

Thanks,
Overmountain Man

Offline bob in the woods

Re: Tried and True Beeswax/Linseed Oil Over Linseed Oil with Alkanet Root
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:14 AM »
I use the Tried and True Beeswax/linseed oil finish a lot. I like it, but mainly for indoor use i.e. furniture, trim, cupboards etc.
The stuff to use on a gun that's going to spend time outdoors, possibly in inclement weather, is the Tried and True Varnish oil.  Go slowly with thin thin applications and it should work very nicely for you.

Vomitus

Re: Tried and True Beeswax/Linseed Oil Over Linseed Oil with Alkanet Root
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:07 AM »
   My gun/rifles spend a lot of time in inclement weather. Some finishes fade while others wash off in the rain. I like what Bill Shipman puts on his long guns,Permalyn.It may not be PC but who cares. It keeps the moisture out!