Author Topic: barrel lug placement  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Daniel

barrel lug placement
« on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:33 PM »
 since everything I built in the past was large bore smoothies. I was wondering where you put barrel lugs on a swamped barrel.
I would think not in the narrow waist.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Re: barrel lug placement
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:34:21 PM »
It depends on the wall thickness you have at the waist. I made a nice 44" barrel into 2 tapered barrels once because I put too deep a dovetail into the waist of a slim profile barrel.
Most are OK though. On an "A" weight barrel, I will sometimes cut a very shallow dovetail, and then solder that one in place. The dovetail only needs to be .010 to .015.
In His grip,

Dane

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: barrel lug placement
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:53:29 PM »
Solder alone will hold lugs in place, but this isn't a traditional method.  On most originals you will find very shallow dovetail slots with the edges raised with a chisel.  This raised material increases the holding power.  I've cut slots as shallow as .015" with raised edges that held fine.  You will see this same process on very thin smooth barrels but they also used braze in this case.  With this process, the lugs were attached during the barrel production, so ill effects of heat from brazing could be dealt with.