Author Topic: barrel inletting  (Read 5863 times)

Offline Daniel

barrel inletting
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »
 where can I get a barrel inletted into a stock?
When I get my Burton barrel I'd like to get it done.
Or if I pick one up sooner.
Daniel     Ecc.4:12

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: barrel inletting
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 07:07:38 PM »
Dave Rase, Mark Wheland, Mark Weder, Dave Keck....for starters.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Daniel

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 07:21:56 PM »
thanks. I'll start checking.
I'm not after to build fancy firearms. I desire to build
backwoods guns.

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 07:40:31 PM »
thanks. I'll start checking.
I'm not after to build fancy firearms. I desire to build
backwoods guns.

I think i know what you mean...a 3k rifle~ but~~~
'working mans rifles' still are worth doing well, once done, these rifles will probably out live us all.......and good lines, good wood/metal fit, and the 'cool factor' is +10
 ;D
marc n tomtom

Offline Daniel

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
I know. It has been a very long time since I built anything. As I have said they were 17th century pieces.
With all the health problems taking control of my life I desided  to fight back and do the things I love.

kaintuck

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 11:11:09 PM »
i am also getting 'over' a small back/foot injury, 2 hrs at the bench is all i can handle right now........but i sure do miss it!....maybe my foot will continue to heal, and i can spend from 5am to 5 pm at my bench....THATS what tomtom and I like!

marc n tomtom

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:09:32 AM »
When I hit the big "80", it really threw me into a tizzy.  A year and a half later, I am
finally getting back into it.  I finally am getting onto that Beck barn gun.  I have the
barrel pinned into the stock, that includes the tang.  I have the lock about 3/4 inlet.
I usually straighten the lock panels out, by that I men I have them planed (thanks to
my vertical mill)   I carefully lay out the lock bolster and get that portion chiseled down
to the barrel, then lay the lockplate on, and draw a good heavy line around it.  I then
mill out the lock plate so that the bolster will rest on the barrel.  I actually mill that out
fairly close to the pencil line and complete it with chisels  I am now working on getting
the parts inlet.  Will hopefully get the main spring in tomorrow.  This MONO thing has
me working just  few hours a day.  The Doc said the only thing to get rid of it is rest...
Don

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 02:09:06 PM »
Hey Don, 
        When we were in school, Mono, used to be called the "kissing disease", Whatcha been doin'?   
Mono can be quite serious, your old liver doesn't need any more stress, take care of yourself...
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

kaintuck

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
Don....I had mono in my early 30s and 8 days in the hospital with liver failure etc.....took me a year to get my weight and energy back.....and I am a fighter! Mono is is bad juju stuff!....eat sleep rest.....time to watch the fall leaves change.....sunsets, sunrises etc.....I feel for you brother!!!

Been there done that, got the T shirt!

Marc n tomtom

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 04:56:09 PM »
Don i have never spoke with you in person but i hope to someday. You breeched a Paris barrel for me a few years ago and I can say it was a first class job. I wish you well sir and i hope you will build many more barn guns for us all to enjoy.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 05:04:34 PM »
Don,
Follow the doctors advice, he knows more than most about the human body.

Will keep you in my prayers, hate to say it but the list is getting pretty long these days!
Take care my friend,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Glenn Hurley Jr.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 05:58:17 AM »
Don, I hope you are back on the road to recovery!  I had it in college many moons ago.  I wasn't allowed off the recliner to change the channel on the TV- yes it was "pre-remote"!  That's how long ago it was!

Back to the original topic, of the 4 gents listed who rout the barrel channels, I had Mr. Mark Wheland do one for  me and I was really happy with job he did.  I have read that the others do great work as well.  Mark is within a two hour drive from my house to his-would recommend him in a minute!