Author Topic: Double barrel lock question  (Read 2706 times)

Offline frogwalking

Double barrel lock question
« on: October 12, 2014, 02:52:36 AM »
I bought a new, but old stock CVA double barrel 12 ga. kit for my grandson.  Looking it over, I noticed that both locks have flys in the tumblers.  Since a double barrel shotgun is not going to have set trigger, why would it have flys in the tumblers?
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Double barrel lock question
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 03:09:16 AM »
Could it be that the same lock is used in some of their rifles? Dont know much about CVA.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 03:11:05 AM »
When a lock without a fly is fired, the trigger is held back so the sear will clear the half cock notch, if present.
A double is fired quickly to get ready for the 2nd follow up shot, which is also often fired quickly.  With a fly, neither shot will snag the notch.  Many doubles only have a fly on the lock fired by the forward trigger and no half cock notch on the 2nd lock.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Captchee

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:02:41 PM »
CVA had a couple  different SXS they offered  . The early one had   un bridled locks  as well as a very simple and common trigger arrangement.
 Later SXS  came in two models , field  grade  and what they called a presentation grade .
 Both carried engraved locks . I may have it back wards but as I recall the field grade  had ducks on the engraving and presentation had quail ? Presentation grade also carried a much nicer stock.
 The trigger  set on these were also different in that instead of having a trigger bar that came up and pushed against the  sear , the sears road in the trigger itself .
 In other words  you could not remove the trigger set  without removing the locks   because the sear bars on both locks fit through holes in their respective triggers .
  While this made for  more solid trigger  engagement, it also created the possibility of the lock  hanging in the ½ cock   do to the triggers not having as much movement  as you would have in a more traditional type pivoting trigger
 Thus you have a fly  on the tumbler

Steve-In

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 04:10:32 AM »
It is a CVA, leave the fly.  I might wrong but to me if a lock is designed to use a fly by removing one you are going to have the potential for problems.