Author Topic: Any oline steel suppliers you could suggest?  (Read 3565 times)

Matabele

Any oline steel suppliers you could suggest?
« on: October 12, 2014, 01:53:14 PM »
Hi all,

I'm going to try my hand at building a back action lock from scratch, but am finding it really difficut to source some suitable steels here in South Africa. None of the companies I have approached have got back to me, probably because the quanitites I need are too small, and perhaps local steel designations are different?

Any suggestions for an online source for 1018 bar, 4140, 8620, 0-1 Tool steel etc, that would supply in small quantites and sizes?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Offline James Wilson Everett

Re: Any oline steel suppliers you could suggest?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
Friend,

Try McMaster-Carr, they sell just about everything for industrial & shop use, headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio, USA.  I get some steel products from them in small quantities.  mcmastercarr.com

Jim

Offline cmac

Offline Wolfeknives

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
Contact the South African Knifemakers Guild. They have a number of bladesmith makers who use many different steels. Bertie Rietfeld, one of the members should be able to help you out.

Wolfgang

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 04:29:15 PM »
I have placed a lot of small orders with On-Line Metals.   http://www.onlinemetals.com/index.cfm  The only draw back is that they do not carry any spring (1084, 1095) steel.  Other than that, small quantities are their specialty.  They have all the alloys you listed.  Good service, good prices, good material.
David
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 04:31:34 PM by David Rase »

cunninmp

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
I agree with Dave Rase with Online Metals.
Another is Speedy Metals. Here's a link:

http://www.speedymetals.com

I've bought from both of them and have been fully satisfied.
For Oil or Water hardening drill rod, or tool steel flats, I'll use
Enco because of free shipping.

Mike C.
Groveland, CA

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:31:50 AM »
Being in SA, I would follow the recommendation given to contact local trade groups like the knifemaker's guild.

I bought a 3 inch long piece of 1-1/4 inch OD DOM tubing from one of the suppliers mentioned.  They didn't charge me postage....they charged me freight and it was $24.  I can't imagine what they would charge to ship it to South Africa.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Matabele

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:07:32 AM »
Hi guys,

Many thanks for the suggestions! I had a look at online metals and speedy metals and they seem to have everything needed in useful sizes. I'll get in touch and see what freight is going to be though. Mcmaster unfortunately doesnt ship outside of the US, pity as they have some great stuff, apart from the raw stock. I'll certainly get in touch with the SA Bladesmiths Guild, great suggestion, thanks!