Author Topic: Stock thickness?  (Read 2688 times)

jamesthomas

Stock thickness?
« on: November 06, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
 So, is there a chart or a "rule of thumb" about the minimum thickness a stock blank should be vs. breech thickness  to leave you enough room to get a 1/4 inch or so cast-off?. I have a 1.062 at the breech Colerain Griffin fowler barrel that I'm putting in a 2  7/16th inch Cherry Stock blank from Dunlop Woods is this stock blank thick enough for me to get a 1/4 inch cast-off? Thanks. ( I know its kinda wordy, but 2 cups of coffee get me going). Btw, the way Danial describes the wood to you its like your there looking at it. "Thumbs up!"

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Stock thickness?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
This will work fine.  Plenty of wood.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »
Put the barrel in with the breech or muzzle kicked over a bit past center to get your cast off. As long as the blank is wide enough for your buttplate you can get cast off by moving the barrel one way or the other.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 07:50:38 PM »
And if it isn't quite thick enough to give you the cast off - it isn't that hard to bend.  I recently had to bend a curly sugar maple stock two ways.  First twist the stock to move the toe out to the right and bend to get 1/4" of cast off. The toe was moved total of a 1/2".   Worked out just fine.  Cherry would be even easier. 

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 05:36:42 PM »
I estimate required stock blank thickness based on the butt plate width and cheek piece thickness. This will exceed the barrel breech. As noted, you can set the barrel at a slight diagonal in the stock to make the cast off.