Author Topic: Trigger plate  (Read 3676 times)

Offline Pete G.

Trigger plate
« on: November 06, 2014, 12:55:51 AM »
I have a build going that is using a somewhat ornate single trigger so I decided to go with a longer guard to accentuate it. It looks best about 2/3 of the way back in the guard but the trigger plate itself does not go far enough forward to align with the front post of the guard. Is it OK to have some wood showing here or should I fabricate a longer plate that will span the whole bow of the guard?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Trigger plate
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
"Wood is Good".  :)
David

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 02:18:58 AM »
Depends if you want it to look complete, and not have to explain why the trigger plate is too short every time you show the gun to someone!

John  ;)
John Robbins

omark

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:38:36 AM »
Might try welding a piece on the front of the plate.     Mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 03:56:35 AM »
I'd make another plate if it were my build.  But I have built rifles where the trigger plate did not go all the way to the guard...the A. Verner is like that.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:00:31 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 04:24:20 AM »
The trigger plate and guard are two separate items.   They don't have to connect.
Don

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:25:06 PM »
   Many originals were built with the trigger guard coming short of the guard.  Most of these plates were terminated with a point or some termination similar to Taylor's photo above.  There is no structural reason to have the trigger plate terminate at or under  the guard. 

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 11:45:49 PM »
Depends on the style of rifle you're trying to emulate.  The only rifles I've built yet that had the triggerplate meet the triggerguard have used double set triggers.  All of my single trigger guns have a boat shape triggerplate or variant common to Southeast Pennsylvania.  Beck, Bonewitz, Schuler, Kuntz, Moll, and Rupp off the top of my head used triggerplates that were well-spaced back from the triggerguard post.  Don't sweat it unless you're copying a rifle that has the triggerplate connecting to the guard. 
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 03:56:02 PM »
Thanks for all the replies. I must have thousands of photos on CDs and in books, and in not a single one could I find a definitive shot this little detail.