Author Topic: Lancaster 54 cal - 2nd build done  (Read 8678 times)

Stuartg

Lancaster 54 cal - 2nd build done
« on: November 02, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
Just finishing up my 2nd build. It's a 54 cal Lancaster made from a Dunlap kit. Dunlap is top notch, and have been extremely pleased with the quality of their kit.

Here's a few pics - still gotta make a ramrod and knock back the gloss with some steel wool.

Offline horseman

Re: Lancaster 54 cal - 2nd build done
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
 I like your rifle.  Good job on the carving and the color is eye catching!  I like the finish on it as it is; however I know that real glossy isn't always good.  Good job 8).

Offline aaronc

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
That's a good looking piece,. had no idea they sold kits.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:00 PM »
   Good job.. nice looking wood. What grade was it.?
Alan K. Merrill

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:07:37 AM »
Stuart........nice job, keep at it, maybe the next one you get it RIGHT,.....ha........Don

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:17:51 AM »
Stuartg; Sir, great looking rifle. Color turned out great. One mistake I see, lock was installed on the wrong side. Looking foreward to number 3 build. Thanks for sharing. AJ.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:18:58 AM by alyce-james »
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Stuartg

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 03:29:37 AM »
Thanks all for the kind words. The stock is a grade 6 on Dunlaps scale. The next one will be a fowler.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 04:26:25 AM »
Congrats on finishing a fine looking rifle ! The wood is beautiful.

Offline Glenn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 05:27:53 AM »
Very beautifully done ... excellent work indeed
Many of them cried; "Me no Alamo - Me no Goliad", and for most of them these were the last words they spoke.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 04:54:57 PM »
The Isaac Haines kit was the first kit of it's kind, with a fully shaped forend.  It was done while Bob Lepley had his first Don Allen machine which was set up and running
in a corner of our barrel shop.  At the time, there were very few parts available in an investment cast form.    Pete Allen did these parts which we referred to as the small
Bivins hardware, and, at the time were not done in brass, but were cast in bronze,
slightly different color and harder.  Most of these parts looked real good, but I never
liked the thick buttplate.  You had to FIT it, and could not tap the edges like you can do
with a nice, soft brass plate.  I have no idea of how many of these Isaac Haines kits I
built.  I am now working on gun number 99.  I know this is probably low since I had to
go back and try to remember guns that I built.   Back in the early 80's, we were going
thru some major bad times.  Wayne Dunlap asked if he could sell the kits if he would
buy the barrels from us, and we agreed to that.  Back in the early 80's we developed
another little hunting rifle, we called it the SPORTER.  It was a small half stock, pistol
grip, had a 28" tapered barrel, using a large siler lock.   We rounded the tail of the lock
to give it more of an english look.  The buttstock was rather straight and high, and we
had to make a rear quarter rib, and a ramp front sight.  Finished ones were usually
checkered.  I have no Idea of how many kits were sold, nor how many finished rifles
we did.   They are rather common in this part of Pa.   Got to stop here, you guys will
start thinking that I must be very wealthy by now.  Maybe I should write a book...Don

Stuartg

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 06:13:45 PM »
I'm sure glad you guys started with these kits. It has quickly jumped up to one of my favorites to build.

navygunner

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 03:19:07 AM »
That is bootifull ;D I love the marking and the color. Done yourself proud.

NG

omark

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 03:09:33 AM »
Very, very nice.

Don, you have plenty of knowledge, maybe you should write a book. It would be very interesting.

Mark

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 03:21:15 AM »
Beautiful I love the color and I also shoot left handed  I am right handed but right eye not so good
Keep it up
Paul

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 04:33:38 AM »
I must borrow an Isaac Haines rifle from a good friend, I built it about 20 years ago.
It is relief carved, and I took it along to the Conner Prairie workshops and had John
Schippers do his engravind thing to it.  If it has a fault, it is engraved to good, far
beyond most kentuckiies.   He has hunted with it, and carried it quite often, is starting
to show that nice, smooth, used look to it.  Will try to get some pictures and let you
guys check it out.........Don

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »
Don, you should set in front of a computer with a Mike and tell your stories..... Then let a writer make it into a book.... "tales from the Barrel Shop"   I have a friend who is a terrific writer who collaborates with people to write their books if you want a contact let me know.   You could even sit around with a couple of your old friends and tell the stories to each other.. hey, remember when.. It would make a great book.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Telgan

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »
I think it's a great idea Don - sign me up for a copy

Offline t.caster

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 06:22:14 PM »
I agree with you writing a book, Don! You got a lot of hard earned wisdom there, I'll bet a lot of us would love to read!

Back to the subject of the finely done Lancaster here. I have used mostly Dunlaps woods almost forever and you can't go wrong with them!
Pretty rifle!
Tom C.