Author Topic: Horn and Knife  (Read 3867 times)

C. Cash

Horn and Knife
« on: November 18, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »
Amateurish though they are, still two fun projects.  Rather than have a master of the art scratch a horn for me, I tried it myself for the first time.  I figured my kids might rather have something their old man made.  The knife blade is a Cumberland style by TOW.  I ruined my fancy wood for this project and had to use less than fancy handles.  I might redo it.  Also goofed up one of the pins as you can plainly see.  Anyway, very fun and learned lot on both accounts.  For all the advice given, thank you it helped a bunch.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:42:24 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline sonny

Re: Horn and Knife
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:31:39 AM »
Nooooo, I like the work when its not the super fancy wood, or a horn that has intricate details etched all over. 99% of all horns an home spun knives were plain jane an not museum quality display pieces. I would rather have a knife an horn that my father worked on to look at an enjoy, then the most magical fabulous super duper setup that a professional assembled. Much more meaning down the road an for all time......sonny

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:36:44 AM »
Well done. I believe that they will look great with some use and age. Treasures.

Steve
Steve Skillman

C. Cash

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 07:32:36 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  Yeah, I treasure that stuff from my Dad, Uncles and Granddad, for the memories and association.  I think they will look a lot better with some use.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:34:53 AM by C. Cash »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 06:46:47 AM »
In my opinion, the items in your pouch (and the pouch for that matter) that are from good friends are treasures and such a joy to use. I have a bag for every gun so I have a place for the treasures I have aquired. I can't afford to lose any of them. Too many friends are gone and their memories are carried with me in their gifts and creations. Your family is fortunate and I'm sure these will be around long after you. And loved.

Steve
Steve Skillman

KennyC

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:37 AM »
I agree with Sonny. That home made gear has it over the super fancy stuff. Every old powder horn I have ever found has been a nice plain one like yours. Be proud of your stuff. Ken

Offline crowbarforge

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 03:53:47 AM »
Very nice. Family heirlooms for sure.