Author Topic: Numbered Siler lock?  (Read 3787 times)

Offline EC121

Numbered Siler lock?
« on: November 09, 2014, 01:51:32 AM »
I'm not sure where to put this, but since it involves parts I'll try here.  Shot my new rifle today.  As I was cleaning the lock, I noticed a stamped number 7 underneath the  pan cover part of the frizzen.  I also found the same number on the lock plate near the tumbler.  I assume this is a batch number used to keep parts together when assembling a bunch of locks.  This rifle was built in 1975.  I haven't seen any new locks with batch numbers on them.   I'm wondering who was assembling these locks at that time.   Did Bud Siler number his locks?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:52:57 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Jim Chambers

Re: Numbered Siler lock?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 05:35:19 AM »
In the 1960's when Bud Siler first started making the Siler locks he did assemble a few of them himself.  But, it soon became apparent the demand far exceeded his ability to assemble them.  From that point on he sold them as kits only.  The kits were assembled by a number of guys around the country, many of whom made a career and their living assembling Siler locks.  Dick Herring and Herman Stone (both deceased) are two that immediately come to mind.  Even L.C. and Liston Rice (founders of L&R Lock Co.) got started in the business assembling Siler locks.  When I bought the Siler company my very first sale was to R.E. Davis Co.  They ordered 100 large Siler kits.
Unless there is some mark other than the assembly number stamped in the lock there is no way of telling who put the lock together.
For those wondering, Bud Siler is still very much alive and still working.  He assembles all the small Siler flintlocks for us and stamps his "CS" on the inside of each lock he assembles.

Offline EC121

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 06:46:44 AM »
I knew others were assembling Siler's locks.  Didn't know it started that early.  Thanks for the history lesson.
Brice
Brice Stultz

Offline rtadams

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 04:58:35 AM »
11-9-14

EC121 & Jim Chambers,

When I read this post I located a lock in my inventory that I purchased in the 60's assembled by Bud Siler. I visited his shop and placed an order for him to assemble a large Siler Flint Lock. The lock I have has never been installed nor any holes drilled for installation. The inside of the lock is as a "piece of clock work" with the bridle & tumbler drawn back to a straw color. The Sear and Sear spring are a beautiful dark blue color. The inside of the lock plate, main spring, (bridle, sear & sear spring retaining screws) are polished in the white. In the center of the inside of the lock plate above the main spring leaf is the Bud Siler stamp "CS". I had intended to use the lock on a rifle at the time but decided not to since it was a beautiful piece of workmanship. I have keep the lock all these years and it is still in as new condition.
Jim ---- Please tell Bud I said, "hello".

Best Regards,

Robert

billd

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
What does "CS" stand for?

Bill

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »
I think it's Carl Siler.

Bob Roller

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 11:37:42 PM »
Bud's actual name is Charles E. Siler, but he has always been called Bud.

billd

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 12:11:00 AM »
Thanks