Author Topic: Rear sight position- Hawken  (Read 3769 times)

A. Cooper

Rear sight position- Hawken
« on: December 10, 2014, 02:24:15 AM »
Are there guide lines for locating the rear sight on the barrel? Most of the plans I've seen have them located 7 to 9 inches from the breech. Of course I see the sight better the further away it is - the blessings of geezerhood. I don't want commit Hawken blasphemy by putting it half way down the barrel. Thanks

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Rear sight position- Hawken
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 02:29:27 AM »
Put it where you can see it the best but not where you would carry the gun if you can get away with it.

galamb

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:11:27 AM »
Here is Seven (7) originals.

If you look, at least to me, no two have the rear sight in the same location.

So agree - put it where you can "focus" on it (for me that is getting further from the breech as each year passes) :)

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 03:38:25 PM »
I agree that you should put it where it is the clearest for you.  My .62 Hawken has the rear sight 15 inches from the breech.  That is where it needed to be for me to focus clearly on the rear and front sight and it works perfrecly.  It may look a little odd, but I learned from an old time gun builder that looks aren't everything, especially if you can't see the sights clearly.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 03:59:33 PM »
I agree that you should put it where it is the clearest for you.  My .62 Hawken has the rear sight 15 inches from the breech.  That is where it needed to be for me to focus clearly on the rear and front sight and it works perfrecly.  It may look a little odd, but I learned from an old time gun builder that looks aren't everything, especially if you can't see the sights clearly.

On the few rifles I have made for my own use,the LAST thing done to them was to locate the exact position of the rear sight.I built a left handed half stock for my barber years ago and had him stop in on the way home and slid the sight along the barrel until HE could see it clearly.He was a quick learner and after showing him how to load it and maintain it he got a nice buck with it that year which I think was 1959.

Bob Roller

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 04:59:15 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth (from a novice), but all of the originals Hawkens shown in the photo have the rear sight somewhere between the two barrel wedges/keys when viewed from the side.  Some seem to be centered between, and some are a little forward or a little back. 

I would attend to the advice given here and use what works for your eyes. 

If historical accuracy is the issue, do a "percentage" from the provided photo.  In other words, distance from muzzle to sight, divided by length of barrel.  Then average them all.  Apply that percentage to your barrel length.  I think I'd be surprised if it fell outside the wedges/keys on your rifle.   :-) 

Best wishes and God Bless,   Marc

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 05:25:47 PM »
Locate the balance point of the rifle by holding it at your side, shift it back and forth in your hand until it balances nicely. The sight will not go there, it will be either forward or to the rear of that point, you don't want it digging into the palm of your hand when being carried. Very likely it will be forward of the balance point given "old eyes." Mark the forward limit of the balance point, then tape or somehow temporarily attach the sight beyond that so you can look down the barrel, adjusting the position of the sight, and find the spot where it is "most" in focus, the place where you get a sight picture you can live with. That will be your sweet spot for that sight.  Install.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

A. Cooper

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I'll find the balance point and go from there.