Author Topic: Bailles or late Ketland?  (Read 5154 times)

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
Bailles or late Ketland?
« on: November 27, 2014, 08:17:03 PM »
I'm in the process of building a skinny little .32 cal squirrel gun. It's going to be a tiny little thing, Tennessee style.
I have both a L&R Bailles lock, and a Chambers late Ketland.
While both are appropriate, the Bailles seems to be just the right size for the stock profile. The Ketland is a little bigger of course, but will work.
My problem is this..... I totally trust any Chqmbers lock.  Not so much in the L&R.

What do you guys think, as far as dependability, longevity, etc?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:14:10 AM by smallpatch »
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Bailee's or late Ketland?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »
The Chambers lock would be the better in quality by far, but from the reading of your project the Bailes would be a better fit. Just be prepared to do a little extra lock work other than polishing it up, well, maybe a little more than a little more. ;)
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 08:36:55 PM »
Dane, I've used quite a few Bailles locks over the years, though I haven't purchased one recently.  They all require a bit of fine tuning, and I expect that so am not disappointed.  I would not hesitate to buy another one, and use it with confidence in a build such as this upcoming one.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:42:04 PM »
If they were dangerous, man eating squirrels….I'd go with a finely tuned Chambers lock. I hunt bears with my 10 bore and it has the  Colonial round face Chambers lock.  But the L&R would be more than adequate against squirrels  ;D   [ Just my preference…other opinions may vary ! ]
Seriously;  a well tuned L&R lock is a reliable lock.  Any problems usually show up from the get go. I believe that their QA has improved tremendously, and I would use one if it fit the build I was after.

Turtle

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »
I installed a Bailes on my .32 and its great. This is just one lock mind you, but I love mine.
                                     Turtle

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »
I have a similar build going on with a .40x 46" Rice Squirrel barrel, I had the same thought as you but ended up with the Chambers Late Ketland. I asked the same question was given advice and went with my gut. Lately I can't bring myself to use anything I'm not 100% on.
Good luck, whatever you choose have fun with it, life's too short for compromises we don't have to make.
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »
Dane,
I would recommend the Chambers late Ketland.  My Gillespie, pictured below, has a Green Mountain "A" weight .40 caliber barrel and the Chambers late Ketland lock.  I modified the tail a bit and added one of Bob Rollers Ketland double throated cocks to the lock.  I had a 5/16" ramrod with a 1/16" web of wood at the breech.  When using one lock bolt I try to get the web as thin as possible. 
If I remember correctly, your barrel is an "A" weight.  Your web is closer to 1/8" at the breech so you should have no problem using the Chambers lock.  Remember, on a southern mountain rifle you want the underside of the stock in the lock panel area as flat as possible.
David

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:39:55 PM »
I have used both the late Ketland and L&R on my squirrl rifles using 3/4 across the flat barrels.  I am more satisfied with the late Ketland on the rifles as far as the look I get when the mortis areas are shaped.  I have been working the height of the lock down a bit to match an original Goulcher lock I have before it is inlet into the stock.  I have had no issues with the L&R locks I have used.
                                                                    Roger Sells

jamesthomas

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »
 I have a L&R Bailes on my .40 cal. SMR. It goes off like a rocket and I have done nothing to it. I would use the Bailes lock, it would look better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 12:12:24 AM by james e »

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »
It isn't like the L&R is more likely to break or something like that.   My only problem with them is how they are frequently assembled.   That you can see right off.   It isn't hidden.   Just fix what you need to fix so that you are satisfied with how the lock works.   In my experience, they are mainly just not fit or finished well enough for me.  At worst,  you will have to install bushings in the plate and bridle, and move a couple of screws.   

All that said,  I am picky and generally able to end up with a much smoother working lock with some work.   If you are happy with what you have in front of you,  use that and don't worry about it.   I have had no reason to question the quality of the castings or heat treatment in an L&R lock.   It really is hard to generalize about quality.   It all depends on the lock you get in your hands.     

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 02:58:07 AM »
Chambers lock, no hesitation.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 05:13:31 AM »
Well, David, and Mr Brooks settled it for me. The Ketland it is. Because of its size, it will male the stock more square across the bottom, and there's NEVER any question about a Chambers lock.
I've had multiple problems with previous L&R locks, although this one does seem pretty well put together.
I'm going with the sure thing!!
Thanks for all your input gang!
In His grip,

Dane