Author Topic: Touchhole Location Question  (Read 4341 times)

Okefinokee Outlaw

Touchhole Location Question
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM »
I just finished my Jim Chambers Early Virginia, and am pleased with the result, for the most part. My intention was to locate the touchhole just resting on the line scribed across the top of the pan.  I think this is called the sunrise position?  However, when all was said and done, the hole ended up about 1/64" higher than what I intended.  Might this present an ignition problem?  Should I plug the white lightnin' liner and drill a lower hole?  Or might this not really make any appreciable difference?  Thanks folks.

Offline Longknife

Re: Touchhole Location Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:26:45 AM »
Hmmm  1/64th, thats .016, sure not much is it. I have had a few that looked kinda high too but they seemed to shoot just fine. I  would shoot it first and see how it works, might surprise you....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Offline Dave R

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 06:45:36 AM »
Ridge Runner,
It will be fine! On larger calibers I think opening up the touch hole a few thousands and slightly countersinking the hole ever so slightly will improve ignition reliability!!

Offline satwel

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:36 PM »
Don't worry. It will be fine. The same thing happened to me once. The drill wandered and the vent ended higher than I planned. Turned out to be the fastest ignition of all my flintlocks.

red owl

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
I've been told that the heat generated in the pan is what actually fires the charge, you don't have to have the flames go through the flash hole. And...this means the hole ought to be a little high. I doubt you'll have any trouble.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 05:41:13 PM »
I have two rifles that the flash hole is not exactly centered.  One off centered to the rear and other to the front of the pan.  I was a little concerned when I got the rifles but after shooting both they are ok and fire fast as others that are centered as they should be.
 I would shoot the rifle and see if it fires ok.  I think it will be ok.
I use about 3-4 grains of 4F in my pans.  Only takes a little bit of powder to get the job done.
iloco

Offline RichG

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »
It will be just fine. I screwed up the location on my 45 Lehigh by an 1/8th of an inch :-\(forward even with top of pan) Chambers golden age lock; very fast ignition. I also fill the pan with prime-more powder more heat/flame.

Okefinokee Outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Thanks everyone.  I can sleep tonight.

Online smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 06:25:31 PM »
That's where it should be!!
In His grip,

Dane

CHARLY

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:58 PM »
Ridge Runner,
It will be fine! On larger calibers I think opening up the touch hole a few thousands and slightly countersinking the hole ever so slightly will improve ignition reliability!!
EXACTLY  what I did   today---mite high touchhole
amateur lock builder/novice---touchhole 2 mm  forward /bit high--ie
level with top of flashpan --bit worrying --not dead centre either-but I used logic ---
 countersunk slightly--
BOOM  --- no probs mate--confirmed my experiment--

so when I read this just now ---Happiness !--Thanku  Dave  R --(

(BUT  how  BIG  diameter is the average touch hole on long rifle 2.5mm-?3mm? ( French  Lock )1776
 ie throw 44mm ---1.5 inches longer sideplate than Siler
obviously a large calibre ---built lock from   accurate PDF  dimensions from POLISH
  lock master builder---great help --nice guy --