Author Topic: Coconut Oil  (Read 7315 times)

Offline Don Steele

Coconut Oil
« on: February 26, 2016, 04:03:52 AM »
Back in August 2015, Curt Lyles posted a response in a thread pointing out that he was having good results using Coconut Oil as his patch lube. I promised myself I would give it a try and finally got around to it today. I was prompted in large part by the threads we have had in this section of the forum discussing wiping vs. non-wiping.
The purpose of this post is to share some observations regarding the use of Coconut oil.
The rifle is a 40 cal. SMR with a 42" Rice square bottom rifled bbl. The load is 40 gns. 3f Goex. w/ .395 RB. My untreated patch material is .020-.021 (uncompressed), .014-.015 (compressed).
Until today, I have only used a dry patch which had been soaked in 7:1 water:Ballistol. Patch material then laid out to dry overnight. When shooting my dry patch, cut at the muzzle...I wipe between every shot with a thin "wiping patch" just damp with Moose Milk (water/Ballistol/Murphy's Oil Soap).

I have followed the comments of shooters on this forum with a lot more experience than I have, and decided to give NOT-wiping a try. Being here in Florida, and after reading Curt's excellent comments about the use of Coconut oil, I went for it.
I pre-cut 1 3/16" circular patches from my usual patch material. Saturated them in liquid Coconut Oil, then patted out the excess with paper towels. Left them on a flat tray overnight in the garage.
At the range today...conditions were VERY blustery. I decided to just shoot some 25 yd. offhand, using my precut pre-lubed ( with the Coconut Oil) patches without wiping.
I fired 10 shots at one 2 7/8th's inch bullseye on the  NMLRA 6-Bull target. The Bull encompasses only the 8-9-10 &"x" scoring rings. All shots stayed in the black ( 8 or better), with 4-10's, 2 "x"'s. That is pretty good offhand shooting for me, so I was pleased with the performance at 25 yds. Moreover, Each shot loaded extremely smooth with the same resistance at shot 10 as I observed on the first shot. I was very impressed with the ease of loading and the consistency of the shots. No failures to fire occurred.

Here's where the questions start:
1.) I felt a definite "crud" buildup of some kind in the breech area of the barrel. I never experience that when wiping between shots.
2.) I routinely pick the vent between shots and when doing that on this group of 10...there seemed to be more "openness" inside the vent vs. the feeling I get when I have wiped prior to loading. When I wipe between shots, I have been aware of the need to use a reduced size "wiping jag, and a thin damp "wiping patch" to prevent fouling from being pushed down onto the breech face causing failures to fire.

After firing my 10 shot test, I cleaned the bbl. with Moose Milk wet patches, then dry patch, and fired some shots using my usual "dry patch" system, with wiping. They were fine.

I'm curious about the "Crud buildup" I felt in the barrel, and while I really like a lot of things about the Coconut Oil, I have a concern that not wiping is allowing a buildup in the bottom of the barrel.
There it is...comments requested and welcome.
Thank you.

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Coconut Oil
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 05:27:51 PM »
      I've used coconut oil and results were mixed. Coconut oil has a very low melting point---76 degrees I think---and will burn at a lower temp than other oils. I think this is what causes the "crud" buildup but have no proof.
                                                Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 08:33:23 PM »
Good question, Don, about the 'crud' ring, that is. Possibly from the oil burning - some sore of carburized fouling - seems to make sense.  I've not seen this or perhaps I merely haven't recognized it or noticed it as such when using Track's Mink oil or Neetsfoot Oil.  I've used both of these in my .32, .40, .45, .58, .62 and .69- for shooting all day without wiping. I haven't noticed a crud ring.

Perhaps a repeat of the same 'test' with the same rifle and load using either of the above lubes is in order. If the do not produce the crud ring, then obviously, it is the coconut oil burning - but - you will be able to tell - as you know what the last test effects showed. If they also produce the crud ring - well, that would prove all the oils tested so far, produce the ring with that load combination (powder, ball and patch) in your rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 12:31:31 AM »
I picked up some 100% pure Neatsfoot oil today.
I'll be shooting tomorrow, and post my results and observations.
Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline L. Akers

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 03:39:09 AM »
I sometimes will get a "crud" ring about where the ball sits on the powder.  Some times I get a ring about 4-6 inches from the muzzle.  Other times I don't get any build-up at all.  I attribute the variations on the amount of humidity present.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 03:07:46 PM »
Don
      After reading your post on coconut oil I went and checked out my old targets that i save as reference and I will have to say I will keep using it till I start havin problems.I use a 25th patch( brown cotton duck)from walMart and a 380 ball with coconut oil rubbed all over a strip of patchin.and i cut at the muzzle most of the time.

I wipe the bore after 3 shots and shoot another 3 shot group and pick up my patchs and read what they tell me.But the results on the target is what I go with. I have tried nearly all of the other lubes ( bear .deer. mink.neetsfoot Hoppees.Ballistall.boy does that stuff stink but it does work good but none of them gave me the groups like coconut oil did .

I shoot the same patch ,ball, lube commbonation .that i hunt with and i dont want to have to use a steel rod or,too much force to load an shoot,I broke one ram rod while huntin and that was enough.My tests that I have run dosent show me that i have to use a sloppy wet patch in order to make my guns shoot right .But i dont tell every one what to use I just give my results. All my tests are shot off of a bench so i can elimminate  human errors. 

I have tried it in 36, 40, and 54 s so far but im not finished yet.

Just keep shooting and have fun.Curt

« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 03:15:00 PM by Curt Lyles »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2016, 09:25:54 PM »
Coconut oil is something I never thought of trying, especially given the fine performance I've enjoyed with Hoppes or spit.  FWIW I occasionally get a crud ring where the ball touches powder but not all that often.  Caliber seems to have nothing to do with it.  And while I'm not prepared to say it's caused by humidity or lack thereof, I do believe humidity has an affect. 
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 11:14:52 PM »
hanshi   the crud ring could be the patch ran out of lube before it got to the bottom.thats why i like a thicker patch.Curt

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 11:53:52 PM »
I use a .024" patch that's pretty wet and it takes care of the problem most of the time.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 12:51:15 AM »
   Interesting thread and question.  I've been told that peanut oil takes the most heat overall in a frying pan before smoking. Close to 500F. Coconut is more flammable than peanut oil. Might be another choice to give a whirl? I mix neetsfoot oil with winter windshield washer fluid for targets and am fortunate enough to get the same POI with pure NFO for hunting.(that's pure luck) I've tried sloopy wet with oil, and wrung out, and like it wrung out.
  I get a little buildup on the breach face after 40-60 shots. It's barely noticeable. A noticeable ring, not so much. Last shot of the day, I reduce the charge, and with a sloppy wet patch, I shoot it out.....and that's after shooting all day without wiping.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
Thanks for all the thoughts folks.
Curt, I really appreciate your additional comments on the Coconut oil.
I did some shooting yesterday with 100 % Neatsfoot Oil. Fired 12 shots without wiping and had no issues.
The rifle shot about as well with those as with the Coconut Oil. This is all 25 yd. offhand. I'm intentionally not benching it at this point. This project is more about what I'll call "loadability", convenience, safety, and overall ease and enjoyment of rather than finding the ultimate precision. 
As a matter of fact, I pretty much have that already with this rifle. BENCHED at 50 yds I have a patch/lube/ball/powder combination worked out that puts 5 shots in a hole I can cover with a quarter. (At 25 yds, benched, you can cover 5 with a dime) With wide open sights and my very poor eyes...I'm not going to worry about getting anything better than that.
I'm going to take another look at Coconut oil, with a little wiping thrown into the mix. When I'm shooting by myself, which is most of the time, I'm firing one round right after another. There's something about pouring 40 gns. of BP down that bore right after the previous shot went off that is proving to be just a little disconcerting.

On a side note...Curt, I find your .025 patch and .380 ball interesting. I'm wondering if that's as unique as I think it is, or if a number of "40 caliber" shooters use that kind of load.
I'm shooting .395 balls. I tried some .400, just because I have some 50 cal. Green Mtn. barrels that like .500 balls, but in this Rice 40 cal barrel, those .400 balls didn't seem to offer any advantage and were significantly more difficult to load.
All comments welcome. Thanks again. 

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 04:42:17 PM »
Don I also shoot the .380 balls with a thick patch out of my 40. They are smooth as butter when loading an give me minute of squirrel accuracy which is all im after.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 04:59:46 PM »
never have seen coconut oil before in my life.  This morning I noticed a can sitting on the counter, I picked it up to see what it is, and it is coconut oil.  My wife must of bought me a can to try as patch lube.  I read the label, and there it is, right there on the label as one of the uses, patch lube.

Got to love a good woman like that.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »
 Why so many folks on this forum ignore the flash point of stuff they are trying as a patch lube is truly beyond my comprehension. Unless you live in a part of the country where it rains every few days, there is a real good chance you are going to set something on fire. Any lube that has the potential to generate a smoldering patch is a clear and present danger every time you fire your gun, in my opinion.

Hungry Horse

Offline hudson

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 07:54:47 PM »
On the coconut oil I have used it for years. I have found you can use to much of the stuff. Accuracy drops of some and a lube star on the muzzle. I do use Teflon, may makes a difference. Multiple shots with out cleaning never a problem.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2016, 09:36:38 PM »
Don - the smallest balls I shot from my .40 Goodoien barrel came from a Lyman single cavity mould. It cast .3975" almost perfectly round. I used those with both the 10 ounce denim at .0225", as well as with the railroad mattress ticking I measure at .0235".  I also tried .400"x.400's with the same patches and these showed on average, about .2" better accuracy- most of the time. These 'targets' are 50 yards benched.

Thus, there was not enough difference to make a difference, unless perhaps I was in a plank or chunk match. If so, I would definitely use the larger ball. It all depends on the 'sport'.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 10:21:21 PM »
   Interesting thread and question.  I've been told that peanut oil takes the most heat overall in a frying pan before smoking. Close to 500F. Coconut is more flammable than peanut oil. Might be another choice to give a whirl? I mix neetsfoot oil with winter windshield washer fluid for targets and am fortunate enough to get the same POI with pure NFO for hunting.(that's pure luck) I've tried sloopy wet with oil, and wrung out, and like it wrung out.
  I get a little buildup on the breach face after 40-60 shots. It's barely noticeable. A noticeable ring, not so much. Last shot of the day, I reduce the charge, and with a sloppy wet patch, I shoot it out.....and that's after shooting all day without wiping.

Leatherbelly,

Just to give it a try, I decided to give winter windshield washer fluid a go.  Of course that's about as hard to find in Central Florida as the proverbial hen's teeth.  However, a sister from up in PA is coming for a visit soon and bringing me a gallon to try.  What is the ratio of neetsfoot oil to winter windshield washer fluid that you use?  Also, does the neetsfoot oil mix with the winter windshield washer fluid or does it separate?

I thought I'd also try the winter windshield washer fluid alone to see how that works as well.  I've seen some people here on the forum say they use it straight for range work.  One way or the other, it's really going to have to perform really great to beat the results I get with Mr. Flintlock's Lube.  Thanks.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dewey

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2016, 11:07:02 PM »
Most winter windshield washer fluids are a mix of about 30-50% methanol (or ethanol), 5% ethylene glycol (at least the Prestone brand has this) and water, with maybe a little soap thrown in. Percentages vary by brand, of  course. Then there is blue or yellow dye added to make it look better.....  (actually to help you see it to clean spills up).

I would think a mix of isopropanol and water would work as well.

You could always try making your own. Don't forget that methanol and EG are toxic!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:31:01 PM by Dewey »

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 01:15:26 AM »
  I started using coconut oil on the suggestion of Joe Schell and since my wife had a 50 lb bucket of the stuff i thought why not.The first 2 rifles I tried it in were 40 cal.that i was not having any success with any other lube .patch ,ball, combo.I tried usin 390,s 395 balls but I had 100 lbs of 380 swaged balls and i was goin to make them work or else .
   I have found that wipin the bore after every 3 shot group gives me the best group .But i dont wipe while out huntin ,

I keep my shootin lane mowed so i can pick up my patchs w/o trouble findin them.and so far I have not seen any that look like fire hazards .Been shootin from this same spot for 30 years and have only seen smolderin patch a few times and i do watch for them,I have a friend on the fire dept so Hungry Horse you  can rest a little easier.

I have a shelf full of all the stuff that has been mentioned so far PLUS some and I am pleased with my results and i shoot for accurassy ,ease of loadin and fun .But i am mostly a hunter first and a shooter next an i rarely go any where else to shoot ,it seems safer that way to me .   These are Chuck Edwards rifles that i use and they function great and they have Bob Hoyt an Colerain barrels on them.I also have a real slim 32 i want to try out soon as i have time cause the ground hogs should be out before long.

Curt
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 01:25:46 AM by Curt Lyles »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2016, 01:54:42 AM »
Avocado oil has the highest "smoke point" of the listed oils. I have some in the kitchen, so maybe I'll give that a try.

http://jonbarron.org/diet-and-nutrition/healthiest-cooking-oil-chart-smoke-points#.VtduknA76rU
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West