Author Topic: square to round......6-7hrs work...  (Read 4938 times)

kaintuck

square to round......6-7hrs work...
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:15:55 AM »

still proud on wood by about 1/32".

gettin thinner.....

...I spent some time with tomtom in the shop tho....and it was nice to work on a rainy Saturday....now it's round instead of square!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: square to round......6-7hrs work...
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »
You might get as fast as me some day... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:06:40 AM »
Funny. Some days we can set the world on fire. The next day can't wipe your (you know what) with both hands. Wouldn't you like to bottle up that good ju-ju and open it up whenever you need it!
 Good work buddy!
Stop Marxism in America

kaintuck

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 06:35:49 AM »
You might get as fast as me some day... ;)

Heck Mike......I'm so fast....I can turn off the lights and be in bed before it gets dark......

I'm even fast asleep......and when I'm not,,,,,,I'm half fast ......
 ;D

Marc n tomtom

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:11:40 PM »
Looking good. It was hard for me to learn to remove enough wood on fore stock. Is that the .40 cherry stock? What lock did you use? I haven't really started another rifle project since I finished Dad's rifle last fall. Been busy with work and a few smaller projects etc..,. I am slowly assembling parts for a southern rifle. Have the barrel, 48", 13/16", .45 made in 1973 and not drilled for touch hole yet. The blank is a nice curly maple one I got in an auction that has a date of 1978 on it. The lock I built up from castings of plate, cock and frizzen that are about the same vintage. I forged a wrought iron butt plate and started on forging a wrought trigger guard yesterday but had to go help son in law with house wiring. I wonder what I might accomplish if I ever got a full day in the shop without interruptions?   
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 06:50:46 PM »
Marc did you get this one finished?

kaintuck

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 12:49:36 AM »
Marc did you get this one finished?

pretty much....yup ;D
it's barrel is rusted...but i will strip/reblue/buff off to get the aged look.........the place it in the finished stock.......i haven't had the time for pictures and postings....sorry, i will try to get it done soon and post a few pictures......

the lock is a late ketland with the tail rounded(hate them 'mouse tails)...barrel a burton 40cal straight, 46"....cherry from mom's yard....i did a front sight IN the barrel....just because ::) rear sight is my makings, dennis made the TG, and a re-bent TOTW southern BP......simple  'Barrens' KY woods rifle.........i need to beat it up just a little..... :o ;D i want it 200yds old.......with Charle's perfect modern rifling.......!

sorry fellows about not posting pics~i will get some soon.......if the kat will help

marc n tomtom

jamesthomas

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 02:43:21 AM »
 Don't worry Mark, We all know about them Kats!!. I have one right here next to me just a purring away!!.