Author Topic: Getting the Lead Out.  (Read 5798 times)

Daryl

Getting the Lead Out.
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:14 PM »
Over in building, thee came a topic on shooting a Ferguson rifle.  Since this rifle shoots a naked ball and others here undoubtedly shoot naked bullets from time to time, I thought this topic might be of interest.

Some time ago, I switched from using 4-ought steel wool wrapped on a brush(effective & no harm in 4140 steels), to an even more effective method of getting the lead out.  This was using an unravelled Kurly Kate or Curly Kate or Curly Cate - probably the middle one - been a long time since I had to buy one,  :).  Strip a single strand or couple,whatever is needed off the end. It will unravel just like pulling a thread of wool off the end of a sweater sleeve or bottom and watching the sweater unravel.  Enough copper strand is pulled to wrap around a slightly undersized brush. The sharp edges of the copper effectively cut and scrub out the lead fouling.  Replenish as necessary, wrapping on more over top of the old.

I couldn't find my curly kate copper wrapped brush for the .45 or .50 rifle as it's been a while since I experienced tough leading. Use of proper and the right quantity of  lube has about stopped my leading problems of bygone years. Suffice to say, we sometimes get leading in rifles and revolvers at times - the curly kate wrapped around a brush works incredibly well.  Use of a proper solvent with this method, depending on where you are shoot a BP gun or the smokeless variety, helps in lead removal. 

I'll edit to include a picture.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:31:52 PM by Daryl »

Offline George Sutton

Re: Getting the Lead Out.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
Daryl, you can purchase that "copper wool" from trapping supply dealers. It's used to plug hole to keep rodents out (doesn't rust). I think it comes in 50 foot rolls.  A lifetime of cleaning material.

Centershot

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »
That curly kate is about 20 years old - I suspect a 50' roll would last a few centuries of shooting.  Good idea about plugging holes, though. Rodents sure wouldn't like chewing it.  This would have been a boon, to plugging bunny holes after hunting with a ferret & losing him down a hole? ;D ;D

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »
One of the common kitchen scrubbers from the supermarket will work too.

This will horrify some, but I've been known to use course steel wool wrapped on a jag to delead some of my suppository guns.
Mike Lee

BrownBear

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:01:36 PM »
Good idea.  I've long used the Lewis Lead Remover for deleading contemporary handgun barrels.  It uses a brass screen, but since it's designed to be pulled through a more, there's no application for closed breech muzzleloaders.  Makes me wonder about simply folding one of the brass screens over the end of a cleaning brush, but it couldn't be as cheap as your solution.

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:21:25 AM »
As I said, I stopped using steelwool once I tried the copper cleaner strands.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:45:20 PM »
Scotchbrite, green kitchen variety works well too.  I cut a strip, fold it to a tight fit in the bore, poke a hole for the screw of the jag and use the jag to hold it on the end of the cleaning rod.  Use a little ballistol for lube/solvent. 

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 01:11:05 AM »
Good idea. Jerry. I'd never thought to use the jag as a holder for a scrubber.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:11 AM »
Don Getz put me on to using scotchbrite  but he didn't tell me how to keep it on the end of the rod.  After several failures the lights came on.  An appropriate sized screw and two brass washers a little smaller than bore diameter with the scotchbrite squeezed in between works better but takes some preplanning. 

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 07:54:31 AM »
Daryl, you can purchase that "copper wool" from trapping supply dealers. It's used to plug hole to keep rodents out (doesn't rust). I think it comes in 50 foot rolls.  A lifetime of cleaning material.

Centershot

Which one? I have tried 4 trapping supply dealers on the net and none had anything resembling copper wool.
Psalms 144

Offline SR James

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 06:36:23 PM »
Be advised that some of the "copper" dish scrubers are actually copper coated steel.  I bought some once for lead removal
and when I got it home was surprised to find a magnet stuck to it.  I didn't use it since it's much coarser than steel wool.  I believe that brand was "Chore Boy" or something like that.