Author Topic: Patch Box Release Help  (Read 2196 times)

Offline Long Ears

Patch Box Release Help
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:34:13 AM »
I'm building a higher end rifle for a lady friend. It's a Beck style and has silver furniture. I need some advice on what type of release to use. I've used the butt plate return button also the toe plate release that TOW sells but this time I'd like to build my own. I searched and a lot of the pictures are now missing. What is your favorite? I can make the springs I just need a fresh idea and I don't have resources around here to lean on. Thanks, Bob

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Patch Box Release Help
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:50:45 AM »
There is a good picture of a Beck style spring button release in the ALR library. ( J.P. Beck 090318-1)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 05:53:39 AM by flinchrocket »

Offline Bill-52

Re: Patch Box Release Help
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 07:01:59 AM »
Long Ears,

The patchbox release flinchrocket refers to does not require much flex.  I made mine from scrap metal found in my father-in-law's barn.  The best advice I received in making this was not to focus on a specific grade or flex of the steel.  Just use metal that was intended to be somewhat flexible in its original use.  The button was cold hammered to shape; the rest was bent and filed to shape.  I must confess, it took me several attempts to get it right.

Bill

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 02:20:59 PM by Bill-52 »