Author Topic: Permalyn stock finish  (Read 5075 times)

FrontierMuzzleloading

Permalyn stock finish
« on: February 08, 2015, 01:26:45 AM »
Anyone ever use this? I like it a lot so far. It goes on easy and lasts long enough to work with before it gets tacky. Goes on thin like tung oil too but builds up quicker. This is the first stock I've used it on but I really like it so far, especially how it highlights the grain.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Permalyn stock finish
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 02:12:11 AM »
Ask ten guys, and you'll probably get ten different answers on stock finishes, lol.  Having said that, I'm with you, I really love the stuff, but typically only use the sealer.  I think I've used just about everything available finish wise, and kept coming back to Permalyn, so pretty much that's what I use.  There's a lot of good information here on Permalyn using the search feature.  Different strokes for different folks, and I've seen really nice results with other finishes, but I really like Permalyn.

Ed
Ed Wenger

ShutEyeHunter

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 04:16:53 AM »
I really like it as well.  I refinished my 1951 vintage win model 70 with it. Has stood up beautifully in the last 10 years of deer and elk hunting in miserable weather. 

(BTW--For any pre-64 zealots--Just couldn't maintain the original Winchester varnish any more.  50 years was enuf)

My Model 70 has pretty plain wood, but Permalyn brought out what little figure there was.  EZ to repair the inevitable dings and scratches.

Never tried the sealer but plan to on my next project--any tips on using it?

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:45:27 AM »
Tip?  Don't put it on today and think you will rub it out next week.  It gets really hard when fully cured.  If you want to rub it out, do it fairly soon.  Ask me how I know this.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
Good! I want a nice finish like that. I am not sure this rifle will get a gloss coat but that tip helps me very much.

This was just a sample test to see if the stain color was right and some boiled linseed oil to bright out the color.

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 02:39:39 PM »
I just put two coats on a short rifle.  The first coat, I followed the directions and wiped it after about four hours.  The second coat I hand rubbed in and let stand overnight.  There is more of an oiled, low sheen look to the gun that is very pleasing.

How long did it take the boiled linseed to dry after you applied it?

Thanks

FrontierMuzzleloading

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
Over night, I wiped the whole stock down in BLO to check for errors, wiped it down hard and let it stand over night.

Turtle

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:12:23 AM »
  I also love the stuff. I find I can get almost any look I want by changing how I apply it. You can hand rub a drip or two for 10 coats for a mat subtle finish, or make a thick shinny finish if you want.Another thing I like is that its extremely tough and impervious to water and cleaning solvents. besides, I like the smell!
                                                       Turtle

Vomitus

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 04:26:33 AM »
   I like the finish Bill Shipman puts on his rifles. It's very suitable for us northern guys  ;)who shoot year round with lots of inclement weather. It may not be P/C but I don't mind. It looks very durable.