Author Topic: "Cloroxing" a barrel?? How to??  (Read 3257 times)

Offline Bigmon

"Cloroxing" a barrel?? How to??
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:30:46 AM »
I have a rifle that I'd like to try the Clorox method of finish?  I have seen a few and liked the old look.
I was once told to cold blue the parts first, then wrap in rags and soak.  Keep checking every half hour or so??
Does anyone have better directions??
Thanks

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: "Cloroxing" a barrel?? How to??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:22:53 AM »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 02:44:26 AM »
I have a rifle that I'd like to try the Clorox method of finish?  I have seen a few and liked the old look.
I was once told to cold blue the parts first, then wrap in rags and soak.  Keep checking every half hour or so??
Does anyone have better directions??
Thanks
Don't think you are going to get much more info than this thread:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=34178.0 Its not an exact science.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 03:57:34 AM »
Much thanks to you all, great information.
Not yet sure what I want to do.  I have "browned" about everything I have and just want something diff.
I spent some time and smoothed out the lock and even buffed it.  Maybe too shiny?
But then this evening I cold blued it.  It really took, almost looks like black paint.
I might do the barrel, and then just steel wool them back some to see what it looks like.  Sure dont like the black paint look.
I can always brown the parts.
I would like a nice gray look.  Like a gun that was "bright" but just turned gray with use, as they do.
Maybe thats the answer.  Just leave it all bright and use it and allow it to turn gray.
I  had a friend suggest "pickeling"  He said hot viniger would cause it to turn "gray"
Any experience with that??  anyone??
This will be my first gun in 25 or 30 yeras.  I have found I have more patience and am doing a better job on some things.  Other things, the old eyes are letting me down.
Thanks again to all.
Bigmon

kaintuck

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:24:51 AM »
Brown the parts for a few days.....this gives the surface texture.....strip off the browning with Kano, or that pink stuff.....oxpho blue the parts......steel wool it back till you like it.......

Easy Peasy.....

Marc n tomtom